(MBBO#04 Class 1) Craigslist score Spyder 500

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had some extra time today, so I pretty much completed it.
20151206_164918_zpsmh6yc6lj.jpg

20151206_164824_zpso5ibkzhb.jpg

20151206_164314_zpskx7cfzhi.jpg

So here she is: A mid '60s Sears Spyder 500 with chainwheel, truss rods and rear wheel from a 1948 Roadmaster, a seat from an unknown muscle bike, new cruiser pedals, vintage "knockoff" style axle wingnuts, and motorcycle handlebars from eBay. All the parts except the tires were in my parts bins, just waiting for the right bike to come along. The Effex clearcoat looks great in the sun. I'm happy with the outcome, and pondering whether I should add a period-correct rectangular headlight and the original rear ducktail fender.

Not sure about the headlight, but a duck tail fender would add some chrome and fill in under that seat a bit. Love the color combo and you have everything looking clean and snazzy!

20151206_064751_zpslbkih3i8.jpg

Finally bought some Effex clear coat by Dupli-color. The picture doesn't do it justice. The 7 oz. can had more than enough for a bike frame. I laid down about two thin coats, then a couple coats of clear gloss. The results are great! You should see it in the Arizona sun. Gonna let it cure for a coupla days, then do final assembly.
I've been singing that stuff's praises for a while. No photos yet can really show folks how awesome that clear coat is! It goes on easy too. Nice job on the change up. It doesn't look like a Spyder 500 anymore, but it still has a bit of muscle to it...

Carl.

Latest posts

Back