(MBBO#04 Class 1) "Fury"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally found a scrap piece of sheet metal and a thin walled piece of pipe for the finishing touches. While the women are out shopping for Christmas, I'll be here working on this, almost uninterrupted. Now to make cardboard templates.
DSCI0271_zps9invveha.jpg

I like the look of those discs as well. Perfect for a mad max like bike.

The tread on that tire is mean. I wonder how much noise they make.

Looks like fun!

Building... riding...
The tires are 4 ply, like truck tires and very heavy. The front wheel is now as heavy as a normal rear wheel, and the rear is about 5 lbs with the 2 speed hub. This bike should be able to take a beating.
DSCI0275_zpsxtmkd6jx.jpg

Last edited:
I'm assuming you'll gear it appropriately for the weight? Looks like it's coming together!
It's got a 40 tooth chain ring matched to a SRAM 2 speed automatix. I just remembered it needs some kind of brake.

It's got a 40 tooth chain ring matched to a SRAM 2 speed automatix. I just remembered it needs some kind of brake.
Well, you've got a lot of braking surface on those "rims".....How about a couple of big ol' felt pads like these:

That's where the challenge is. The plastic film won't hold up to a brake pad so it has to be a friction brake right to the tire, or Fred Flintstone brakes.

The hub won't allow a coaster brake?
No, it's the freewheel version. The guts from a coaster brake hub will interchange, as I've already done. The coaster version is on my daily rider. If I could find another coaster hub, I'd do it. I've already checked the bike shops, I can't even order one.

I got everything cut, it's galvanized metal that almost matches the counter top. The chain wheel cover needs a little more cutting. I'll smooth everything with the dremel grinder tomorrow and start sanding for paint.

DSCI0279%20-%20Copy_zpssjlt0sp7.jpg

You're in the Phillipines now, correct? I could send you an old coaster hub, but it won't be there by January 1st. But it's yours if you want it for shipping. PM me if you're interested. I'll pull it out and send pictures.

You're in the Phillipines now, correct? I could send you an old coaster hub, but it won't be there by January 1st. But it's yours if you want it for shipping. PM me if you're interested. I'll pull it out and send pictures.
Thanks for the offer, but the shipping may not be satisfactory. Along with a very high price, they would put a big fee on it to claim it at the post office. Usually what they think it is worth. A few years ago, I sent my niece, who is a dentist here, a textbook from the states. They held it until she paid almost 50 dollars, even though all the postage was already paid for. So I use an FPO address through a military retirement association here and bypass the corruption, but it is limited to mail under 1 lb.
I can get a coaster hub from a bike mechanic I know in a town north of me, but I wanted to have the 2 speed. I've got some rebar to use as a friction brake that might work.

If a brake doesn't work out right, I'll just get a coaster 1 speed wheel and make up another pair of discs. Plenty of time!

I was going to refine the tank and make it flush on all the surfaces, but this is a mad max bike, it has to have some rough edges. Epoxied it all together.
fury7%20-%20Copy_zpsfnwgmvwb.jpg

The clothesline is available, everyone's out shopping. The temp is just right for painting too, upper 80's and sunny!
fury9%20-%20Copy_zpscwjt0b05.jpg

Latest posts

Back