(MBBO#05 Class 1) Radioactive Heap '65 Stingray

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best use possible... Be shame it turned into useless crusty cracked rubber in a package.. I think ur getting the best value possible out of a nos part...
Now can we see the whole shabang yet dude??

It's still just a pile of parts..................one step forward three steps back. I'm hoping to get the crank all sorted out tomorrow.

Here's where I'm at.....................I've got a 46 tooth chain wheel that will clear the frame if I flip it over. As best as I can figure it will move the chain over about ¼ inch. Does anyone think there will be a problem with the chain binding? If not I've got two different hub sprockets, one a 16 tooth, the other 18. Any thoughts on which would be preferable? I'm starting to think I should just use the stock chain wheel even though I hate it, just to get this thing finished.

How far out is the chainring if you try seat it normally could u possibly massage the stay enough to cheat clearance or is it a big over hang on it?

Here's where I'm at.....................I've got a 46 tooth chain wheel that will clear the frame if I flip it over. As best as I can figure it will move the chain over about ¼ inch. Does anyone think there will be a problem with the chain binding? If not I've got two different hub sprockets, one a 16 tooth, the other 18. Any thoughts on which would be preferable? I'm starting to think I should just use the stock chain wheel even though I hate it, just to get this thing finished.
I would just try the 46 and see if the 1/4" offset is an issue...

Luke.

You may be able to add a washer or two to push the chain ring away from the frame. Note that this will also move the crank arm on the left side closer to the frame so check for clearance. You may need a wider crank. Just a suggestion.
DSCN2235.jpg

Stock ring with the 18t will be a deccent gear for those short cranks. Lucky 7 looks good on a Stingray too. Especially if it's correct for the year.

I decided I had had just about enough of worrying about the chain ring, which to try and use and which would work with what. I just put the boring, ugly, original one on just to get it over and done with. The fork, stem and bars are also cleaned up and back on. Tomorrow I'm going to re-assemble the Red Band and front axle and stick the wheels/seat/sissy bar on. I wont be able to get over to the bike shop until Wednesday to get a new chain so the first shakedown ride will have to wait until then. As soon as this is done it's time to start tearing the Huffy Cheater Slick down for a thorough cleaning and tune up.

Looks fast just sitting there!
I'm expecting a top speed somewhere between a giant tortoise and the Bell X-1.

Yep, I like that one too. Nice bike!
Muchas gracias. BTW, I haven't forgotten about the seat recover, I'll get it sent off soon.

Nice balance between the wheel/tire combo!
Thanks, I was hoping the Fastback wheel/tire would look good. I'm happy with the result.

I like the wide handle bars...

Thanks, they are off a '69 Fair Lady.

The Heap now has a chain and after a few shakedown runs I put the grips and guard on. There seems to be a problem with the headset though that I can't get ironed out. It keeps loosening up and I can't get the play out of the bearings unless I tighten it up beyond what I think is correct............other than that it rides pretty nice. This one has a much different feel than my '64 with the Fastback wheel/tire and the narrower Fair Lady bars. The front end is very light and the rear, comparably feels like a sack of bricks. This would be a wheelie machine in the right hands (too bad I suck at them). I am planning to remount the sissy bar in the fender bracket holes, currently it's on the axle and it looks goofy from the side. Other than that I just need to clean/polish/wax it and make a couple of mounting tabs for the license plate. I've also got a way cool location picked out for my photo submissions of this and the Wildcat, stay tuned to this channel for further updates.

The Heap now has a chain and after a few shakedown runs I put the grips and guard on. There seems to be a problem with the headset though that I can't get ironed out. It keeps loosening up and I can't get the play out of the bearings unless I tighten it up beyond what I think is correct............other than that it rides pretty nice. This one has a much different feel than my '64 with the Fastback wheel/tire and the narrower Fair Lady bars. The front end is very light and the rear, comparably feels like a sack of bricks. This would be a wheelie machine in the right hands (too bad I suck at them). I am planning to remount the sissy bar in the fender bracket holes, currently it's on the axle and it looks goofy from the side. Other than that I just need to clean/polish/wax it and make a couple of mounting tabs for the license plate. I've also got a way cool location picked out for my photo submissions of this and the Wildcat, stay tuned to this channel for further updates.
Are the headset bearings original to all the parts of the headset? I have found that some of these old headsets take different sized bearings. Had the same problem with my Mesa Buggie. Had purchased a new 1" headset to go with the fork and it kept loosening up. Used some old bearings from another headset and the original cups from the '51 Schwinn frame for Mesa Buggie, and worked like a charm.

Latest posts

Back