(MBBO#05 Class 2) Flashback GT - Done!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
image.jpeg

Partridge Family, Brady Bunch. Jan or Marsha, Beetles or Monkees? Monkeemobile, Munster Koach. Dean Jeffries, George Barris, "Big Daddy" Roth. "Capt. Pepi's Motorcycle and Zeppelin Repair". MPC, AMT, Revell. Testors (the one that actually worked, not the one that smelled like oranges). Riding late into long warm summer nights. Street lights don't come on till ten. Who's house do we meet at tomorrow? Schwinn Stingray Fastback.

image.jpeg

Been thinking about this design for a while. Started out with rough thumbnail sketches that were tightened up into a dimensioned drawing. From there I created rough 3D images in SketchUp. Made adjustments in SketchUp and then tweaked the line drawing.

Last edited:
Beautiful design!
My one concern would be the strength of the tubing holding your weight on the seat with out the advantage of full triangulation. I do see a small triangle under the front of the seat and hopefully it will suffice.

Beautiful design!
My one concern would be the strength of the tubing holding your weight on the seat with out the advantage of full triangulation. I do see a small triangle under the front of the seat and hopefully it will suffice.

Thanks! Strength in the seating area is a concern for sure. I plan to run the top bar close to the back end of the seat. Then connect that to the sides creating a triangular truss where most weight/stress will be in the seating area. Suppose the first wheelie will reveal the wisdom of that design choice!

Just one last fluff image before getting to something of substance (and bike build related). Earlier this week I got back from a two week road trip of the American Southwest. Saw the most amazing rainbow at Arches National Park.

archesNP.jpg

And so, ahem, speaking of arches...

So this is probably the most ridiculous reuse of a headtube, ever! The headtube is from what remained after previous projects of a Schwinn Suburban. The thought was to cut off the twin downtubes leaving short ends attached to the headtube. These ends would then be ground down so the new top and down tubes could slip over them, strengthening the joint. Ended up not being enough material on the short ends for this to work. I've cut those completely off and am in the process of adding short tubes that the top and down tubes will now slip over. Would have been easier to start with a tube that had the same ID and OD as the headtube. But hey, I did save myself from having to drill and tap two small holes for a headbadge that I haven't decided yet if I'm going to use. ;)

headtube01.jpg

headtube02.jpg

headtube03.jpg

headtube04.jpg

headtube05.jpg

Hopefully this will be a productive weekend and I'll have more to post soon.

Just one last fluff image before getting to something of substance (and bike build related). Earlier this week I got back from a two week road trip of the American Southwest. Saw the most amazing rainbow at Arches National Park.

View attachment 34196

And so, ahem, speaking of arches...
I've been to arches, and all over this beauty we call America.....That's a once in a lifetime scene, let alone getting a shot of it.

Latest posts

Back