(MBBO#05 Class 2) Scat Pack

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Explode-A-Bike! Have got the frame in the back of my jeep so as to drop off at the powder coater. Been trying for 3 days to get a hold of them. Still no luck. Am probably going to have the guard replated. The embossed 'nubs' on the guard I want to paint. So, I decided to lightly sand them to give the primer/paint better adherence. Ended up scratching the guard in a spot and I'm NOT happy with my carelessness. Either that or having it coated, as well. Will probably go back with the chrome.

IMG_0784.JPG

Just thought I'd post an update. Haven't abandoned ship but, did get the frame dropped off at the powder coater. So, progress is being made. Did run into a bit of a snag in accidentally scratching the heck out of the chain guard. Believe, I'm not going to be happy unless I get it re-chromed. Anybody have anyone they'd recommend? Am currently working on some minor things like removing the "knob" on the shifter to replace it with another to go along with the theme of the bike. Still have some minor bits to get and then it's time for reassembly.

Love this bike + I think your kid was right about the skinny tire.

GLHS was quite the package on the Omni. My ex-roommate bought a brand new one and then heavily modified it. One of the funnest cars I've ever driven in my life. Cool ride!

They're easy to make fast. Just have to ditch the puny stock exhaust and add a manual boost controller and some bigger injectors. I had at least 3 people that would refuse to ever take another ride in it...:21:...had 3 inch exhaust from the turbo back running about 18 psi.

Would smoke the tires in second on a roll no matter how soft you squeezed the hammer because the turbo spooled so fast. Would finally get decent traction in 3rd and try to yank the steering wheel out of your hands..:p

I miss it sometimes.

main.php

Last edited:
Tons of sexy fatness here!
Love the guard!

Love this bike + I think your kid was right about the skinny tire.

They're easy to make fast. Just have to ditch the puny stock exhaust and add a manual boost controller and some bigger injectors. I had at least 3 people that would refuse to ever take another ride in it...:21:...had 3 inch exhaust from the turbo back running about 18 psi.

Would smoke the tires in second on a roll no matter how soft you squeezed the hammer because the turbo spooled so fast. Would finally get decent traction in 3rd and try to yank the steering wheel out of your hands..:p

I miss it sometimes.

main.php
I had a couple of wrong-wheel-drive turbo Dodges myself, back in the day. Surprised many a stock 5.0L Mustang. Was fun!

Worked on some of the details this weekend. Still waiting for the frame to get back from the powder coater and still need to get the guard re-chromed. Not sure if we're gonna' make it, or not?

Could you do the guard later? How bad is it? Pretty late in the game to be getting a chromer involved. Never used one but I hear they like to take their time.:p

Was looking forward to seeing this bad boy put together.

Cool shift knob!

Could you do the guard later? How bad is it? Pretty late in the game to be getting a chromer involved. Never used one but I hear they like to take their time.:p

Was looking forward to seeing this bad boy put together.

Cool shift knob!
Already have the graphics made for the guard. It's a big part to pulling off the overall theme. Without it? Meh...

Orange county plating I use for bulk rates by the pound. Vern's is cool can be a little pricy but they stand behind their work and meet deadlines. Bright plating can have amazing turn around, I use them for black nickel and assorted finishes. They have gotten a bite OUTRAGIOUS on estimates and billing cause are contracting alot of fine art work now, so I only use I'm desperation and by showing up with cash. I've had 12 foot stainless sculpture plated by them along with maybe 12 smaller pieces turned around in black nickel cleared in under 2 weeks.
Oh did it cost me...
Cash generally can help get your job pushed forward from the line if they run alot of production or high volume parts, cause they are not making near the same return on time and they only need to prep and polish so manual labor is minimal. But a guard can't be tumble polished they should be able to quote how many hours prep will take to ready for plating
.. bright has me go to 2000 on stainless for prep to tank ready.
Best of luck, unfortunately I only know platers in california.
It really should not be a hard or expensive part to replate.

Got the frame back and started reassembly. And, once again this friggin' computer will NOT let me upload any pics. So, I've sent a couple to my email. I'll download them on my work PC and post them Monday. Decided to not rechrome the chainguard. Too expensive and not enough time for turnaround. So, we went for the brushed look by sanding it. Looks pretty good and most all of the flaws are hidden under the graphics so, it's all good. He's going to ride this bike so how long will it stay looking good anyway? He is a 7-year old. We've all been there. Good thing is I had extras made in case he messes this one up.

Last edited:
Got the frame back and started reassembly. And, once again this friggin' computer will NOT let me upload any pics. So, I've sent a couple to my email. I'll download them on my work PC and post them Monday. Decided to not rechrome the chainguard. Too expensive and not enough time for turnaround. So, we went for the brushed look by sanding it. Looks pretty good and most all of the flaws are hidden under the graphics so, it's all good. He's going to ride this bike so how long will it stay looking good anyway? He is a 7-year old. We've all been there. Good thing is I had extras made in case he messes this one up.
DSC_0148.JPG
DSC_0154.JPG

Latest posts

Back