(MBBO 2014 Class1) Hurst Stingray Fastback

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sign me up. I picked this up in October from ebay and I had to drive 3 hours to go pick it up. It is a 1975 Stingray Fastback.
I have been assembling parts for it since I got it and have it mocked up. I still have some minor adjustments to make as I decided to change the shifter on it.
DSCN0243.jpg

New shifter. No overload tube? I guess it will work without it. I am gonna change the "T" handle.
11121416491.jpg

I am going to hook it up tomorrow without it and see how it works. That's the last ting I need to do before I tear it all down and get the frame in for powder coating. I am going with the Candy Teal.

Welcome to the build off and a nice start as well ! You don't need an overload tube with that shifter , those are just in case it gets shifted without turning the crank .

Thank you! I finally know what that does now.

This build is moving along nicely. How wide is that back tire? Been wondering how wide of a 20 inch tire would fit on a Fastback frame.

It is the DURO slick 20 X 2.125 on a standard 20" rim. From the widest part or the inflated tire it measures 1 and 13/16".

Thanks for the info on the overload tube. I kept going through the mechanics of the operation and couldn't see the use of it. I assumed that if it needed one they would have included it in the shifter kit. As the package states, "Fits all 5-Speed Derailleur Bicycles".

Last edited:
picture this, you park your bike and walk away then along come baby brother.
He grabs the shifter and yanks from fifth to first , the stress could cause the cable to stretch or on the Hurret shift cables AKA Schwinn break the ball off the end...so if you have a baby brother an overload tube is a good thing !
Mark

No little ones here. If I happen to do it by accident it can be easily fixed.

Very cool! Is there any way of grafting the overload tube off the old shifter on to the new one?
The other shifter is a French Simplex shifter and the overload tube and shifter are one unit.
1107141833a.jpg

I got a chance to hook up the new shifter and took it on a 2 mile trial ride and everything is working fine on it. Now I'll get it torn down and off to powder coating.
1130141541.jpg

1130141541a.jpg

Between Thanksgiving, work and needing to pay attention to my girlfriend I didn't get to tear the bike down until tonight. My plan was to get it to the powder coater today. Well that didn't happen. Can't go tomorrow either gotta go see the new grand baby. I don't have to be in to work until Monday night so looks like Monday morning.

Thanks! I am sure many have added a Hot Rod shifter to a build. This is my version of a Muscle Bike Shifter. The other side has been modified as well.
More of that later...
1207142259.jpg

Dropped the frame off at the powder coater this morning. They said 1 to 2 weeks. That should just give me enough time to get it all back together.... I hope.:D
http://boneheadperformance.com/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back