MBBO#3 and 2015 Winter BO.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you likely to join either (or both) Build-Off's?

• Total voters
Hmmmm...I skipped out on BoNine and I typically am not a mucle bike guy, but I do have an extra 1966 Huffy build Firestone GTO MB frame sitting in the garage.
BRING IT!
I'm using a girls MTB frame... hehe...

Carl. :crazy:

Something followed me home from the dump shop over the weekend...
Need to re-think my build to make this fit somehow...

14906083733_78302b4144_z.jpg

Luke.
Its one of those Hoosierdaddy tires!
Couldn't expect anything less from you Luke.

Now now kids no street races... At least not where the cops will catch you.
But again maybe the fastest bike will be the one that gets a ticket lol.

I'm sad I lost it in the last move; I used to have a ticket I got for doing 41mph in a 25mph zone on my bicycle. Went to cort and the judge laughed and told be to be careful.
I doubt I was going 41mph but I was passing the cars lol.

The fastest bike....hmm. :39:
Is that a challenge, and how do we prove it?
My bike will be fast too.

Carl.

I have a high gear that will let me go about 21mph, unless I change out the chain wheel to something bigger. Low gear makes it easy to pull a wheelie. With the bigger tire I'm going to use, maybe I'll do 23mph.

I was out riding the bike that I will use for the build off and got in a race along the national highway with one of the locals. I was cruising along at about 10 mph when I went past him, then he sped up and passed me, so it was a challenge. I passed him again, only in high gear and he couldn't catch me. I'm pretty sure he was trying.

But by fastest I'm saying for elapsed time, not top end. Like a drag race, but for bikes would be about a 200' or so drag. Having the 2 speed auto works great for acceleration. How to prove it? That's a good question.

5obkb6.jpg

I'm using either a 5 or a 7 speed rear gear cluster on a 26" rim.
Hoping to score a sulky tire, may run a 52/39 front sprocket pair...
I have a kinda cool old shimano stem shifter with long handles...
Hole shots and top end kinda depend on me....

Quick Carl.

Wildcat,
I like your story about racing the locals...
I have an old Cannondale tourer converted to a cruiser with MTB bars and a long stem, with a shock absorber style seat post on it, and 30mm tires, just a little wider, ya know... I don't like riding in full touring position any more, years of construction has done a number on my old back... but anyway I still got my legs. We have a few racer types around here with their trek bikes, spandex shorts, and rear view mirrors on their helmets. I love rollin' up on these guys and just shadowing them for a while and then when it's on, smokin' by them, with my hippie hair and skateboard shorts, riding upright mostly... usually they get caught up at some point and we start talkin' about bikes and how I'm in pretty good shape for an older guy (54) I never raced pro but I think I should've. I've shadowed guys with my skiptooth cruiser too and they couldn't believe I could even keep up. I can't do the distance at speed, that I used to be able to do, but I can still roll. A 100 yd dash would be an easy drag race...

Carl.

Last edited:
Wildcat,
I like your story about racing the locals...
I have an old Cannondale tourer converted to a cruiser with MTB bars and a long stem, with a shock absorber style seat post on it, and 30mm tires, just a little wider, ya know... I don't like riding in full touring position any more, years of construction has done a number on my old back... but anyway I still got my legs. We have a few racer types around here with their trek bikes, spandex shorts, and rear view mirrors on their helmets. I love rollin' up on these guys and just shadowing them for a while and then when it's on, smokin' by them, with my hippie hair and skateboard shorts, riding upright mostly... usually they get caught up at some point and we start talkin' about bikes and how I'm in great shape for an older guy (54) I never raced pro but I think I should've. I've shadowed guys with my skiptooth cruiser too and they couldn't believe I could even keep up. I can't do the distance at speed, that I used to be able to do, but I can still roll. A 100 yd dash would be an easy drag race...

Carl.

You guys have inspired me. I might give it a go this Sunday when I venture in to the racer/fixie/mtb territory of my riding trail. Just don't tell my wife :grin:

Worst case scenario...
some kid blows you away with a walmart bike...

Merle. :crazy: < has had that happen...

Yes, that's a huge possibility then again it won't be that much of a victory for them since they will clearly see my bike is built more for cruisin' than racing. I just hope I don't kill myself in the process :grin:

LUKE if you need a wheel for that tire you can get 10" , 12" ,and 14" wheels from Speedwaymotors.com , 10" is what I use for my 29x11x15 tires for my bikes , and ya I am doing a sting ray with one of those tires , you have seen others I have built , cant wait to put one of those tires on that short wheel base

LUKE if you need a wheel for that tire you can get 10" , 12" ,and 14" wheels from Speedwaymotors.com , 10" is what I use for my 29x11x15 tires for my bikes , and ya I am doing a sting ray with one of those tires , you have seen others I have built , cant wait to put one of those tires on that short wheel base
I don't think they deliver to Australia lol.
On that note tho I only live a few miles from Speedway motors :cool:

Thanks for the tip Kemp, I will be making my own, from a 4.5" wide one, got to keep the costs down a bit...
Hope you can join us!

Luke.

Latest posts

Back