(MBBO #4 Class 2) Mustang Phatty -(FINAL MOCK UP PHOTOS)-

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my starting point. I went to my LUBS a couple of months ago on a whim and came home with this Hawthorn two piece adult 20" bike and parts, with the exception of the nanner and front rack. Two hours later I was ridding around with a huge grin on my face.

t9hvhPj.jpg

Just last week I had an idea of putting a phatty rear end and tire on it. Saturday night I found the stinkray (my slang name for these china schwinns and the inspiration for the name of this build) on CL just ten blocks from my house. I picked the Schwinn up Sunday.

GpGPqvs.jpg

B3lB5b9.jpg

This is my second attempt at a MBBO build. This time I have most of the parts and a plan. I'm excited to participate again. I really enjoyed last year, even though I had to back out. Lets play boys!!!!

Looks like you're "breaking out" with a great idea!

Maybe try to build it from the joining plate back, so you can save that rear clip from the firestone... just thinking out loud, but how cool would it be to be able to switch back and forth between rear clips?

Carl.

Maybe try to build it from the joining plate back, so you can save that rear clip from the firestone... just thinking out loud, but how cool would it be to be able to switch back and forth between rear clips?

Carl.
That's an idea I haven't thought of... hm. This is going to be kind of tricky because the BB on the Schwinn has to be used to clear the tire. I've learned to just start and let the thing take shape on its own. Your idea is a good one. I really don't have a problem butchering the frame to make this work though.

That's a pretty cool frame, I've never seen one like that before, are you sticking with black or going a different direction?

I always thought those frames would lend themselves well to muscle bikes.
The fact you are going to also make it a fatty is even better!

That's a pretty cool frame, I've never seen one like that before, are you sticking with black or going a different direction?
Yea, I haven't seen one either. I found one pic on google, that's it. I think it's a CWC(AMF) bike. I'm not sure on the color yet. It probably won't be black though.

That's an idea I haven't thought of... hm. This is going to be kind of tricky because the BB on the Schwinn has to be used to clear the tire. I've learned to just start and let the thing take shape on its own. Your idea is a good one. I really don't have a problem butchering the frame to make this work though.
If you get a chance go look at my bike HeadBanger there's a link in my sig. There's no reason you have to weld the support to the BB... I didn't. I put the hinge for the mtb bike frame several inches back from the OCC BB.

Carl.

Dang, Wildcat, you're a wealth of information!!! I had no idea it was a Rollfast. Now I want to change the name of the bike. Can I do that?!?!?! And, because it's a Rollfast Mustang I'm hesitant to chop it up now... :39:

Dang, Wildcat, you're a wealth of information!!! I had no idea it was a Rollfast. Now I want to change the name of the bike. Can I do that?!?!?! And, because it's a Rollfast Mustang I'm hesitant to chop it up now... :39:
At the top of the thread,just above your first post there a link to click that will allow you to edit the title.

Just click thread tools and go from there.

Hey look at that,I just informed someone on something I didn't even know I knew.

Well, I started disassembly...:rofl:

Y6wCbaE.jpg

I got my first look at mock up. It's going to be long! The fork will fit with not a lot of trouble. The bearing on the Schwinn didn't fit the cup of the Hawthorn I had to slightly grind the bearing cup of the schwinn to get it fit but it works. The Hawthorn head tube is 3/8" longer than the Schwinn. I will carefully cut it down to make it fit. So I'm not too worried about the fork.

xESb3lK.jpg

It looks like the BB is going to be an easy fit too. I slid the bearing cup of the Hawthorn on the Schwinn BB, and it fit tight! So I'm going to grind the flange off of the cups, reverse and weld them to the frame then weld the Schwinn BB inside the cups. I want to use the original BB placement and seat tube of the Hawthorn. I want to keep as much of that frame intact as I can because it just looks cool!

roNgcB9.jpg

NQK017N.jpg

The hard part is going to be fitting the rear end so it looks good. The crank has to clear the wide part of the rear end. I'm going to cram it as close as possible to try to keep the overall length of the bike down as much as I can.

QCq0MGZ.jpg

Over all I'm really pleased with how well things are fitting and the look it's starting to take.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back