(MBBO #4 Class 2) Mustang Phatty -(FINAL MOCK UP PHOTOS)-

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Filling the tubing with something like sand and taping the ends off, will help keep it from kinking or getting out of round. I did one arched bend in 3/4" copper and filled my tube with ordinary table salt. (was cheaper than sand too)

Carl.

Filling the tubing with something like sand and taping the ends off, will help keep it from kinking or getting out of round. I did one arched bend in 3/4" copper and filled my tube with ordinary table salt. (was cheaper than sand too)

Carl.

Onya Carl, that's a pearler I'd forgotten that could be very handy in the next day or so..

Great work on that front end.
I love the fork turn stop that you did with the triple clamp

I got my seat height dialed in, this is fit for me and for riding... I found this cool little fork off of an electric scooter at my LUBS. I'm going to mount the sissy bar to the spring assemblies. I was given a futon for scrap. It has 22 apx 2' sections of 5/8" tube in it (wish I had it earlier for the fatty front clip), SCORE! So the sissy bar will be built with that.

SaIXqJG.jpg

I'm toying with the idea of a suicide brake mounted to the rear half of the bike just below the front of seat post. With this I can easily change front ends and still have the rear brake. I cut a fork tube off to use as an arm. I sat for a couple of hours last night playing with derailer and brake parts trying to figure a workable mount and simple but effective mechanism. I came up with hardware and return spring out of a center pull brake. This might change, but it works.

FqFbdqP.jpg

C6Dkkrf.jpg

AtqzxU3.jpg

Good thinking on both ideas! Loving it!

Luke.

Thanks Luke!

Bloke, that brake is Awesome!!!.. I reckon I can see this becoming popular, very nice..

Thanks M!

I was a little worried that this thing may be too weird and too different for the discriminating tastes on this forum.... then I read Guitar Carls post on Lukes build.

"Isn't that what a muscle bike is supposed to be?
Impractical, uncomfortable and over the top radical...

Carl." Thanks Carl!!!

Luke, you were right on the stock front end looking the best, it does! However that would have ment a lot less work and there's not a lot of challenge in it. So, I guess I'll keep building and creating and go ahead and let my freak flag fly. Rat on!!!

Dig that front fork set up! Cool idea for the stopper too, perfect for protecting the fame.

I'm giddy with this new revelation. So, as one guy posted on FB "cheap china mass produced crap", I feel the same way! But, it does give a good source for parts. Luke has inspired this next idea. I was going to cut the back hub apart and mount a disc brake in it, so I could paint it. I don't like the color of the rim! Then after watching Luke build his rims I had this idea. The guy in the pic is the owner of The Great Divide here in Pueblo, Co. He has a great shop and is my goto guy for new parts. He pulled this bike out of his vault one time when we were talking Muscle Bikes. I called him today and asked if he could pull the bike out again so I could take some pics, he said no prob. I think this idea will work for me and this build.

GSw8Vpc.jpg

I want to convert the Schwinn fat rim with copies of this mag. So, here's what I want to do. Lee let me copy the pattern of the mag. Mine wont taper from the hub to rim, it will be flat and welded to the hub. I wont be using this rim. I just brought it in for sizing and taking pics. This is an old rim I had in the scrap pile. Someone tried to weld a 42 tooth sprocket on the free wheel and just wasted it. I already removed the hub to cut up and mount a disc on it.
qLtfBMg.jpg

This mag was in the shop when Lee bought it. He had a local machine shop copy it twice for him out of stainless steel. Those mags are in the bike. This is the original.
5hCTxIE.jpg

I want to use channel iron for my spacers.
0oeGcTi.jpg

I plan on using 1/8" plate. I'll weld mine to the axle like Luke did... man I hope this works!!!
eDpeGKI.jpg

Last edited:
Hey thanks for the views, I've only seen pics of those from a distance or just a view of the bike... never up close and showing the assemblage. Cool wheel.

Carl.

This build continues to be fun every step of the way

Oh yeah! Keen on seeing these mag wheels!

One thing to watch if you have no taper is that it might flex side to side a bit, having them taper towards the centre helps to stop it. The other way to stop it is to weld plates in between the two sides to stop it from flexing, but that would be a lot of work and added weight.

It would not be too hard to add a slight taper towards the centre of the rim would it?

Luke.

Oh yeah! Keen on seeing these mag wheels!

One thing to watch if you have no taper is that it might flex side to side a bit, having them taper towards the centre helps to stop it. The other way to stop it is to weld plates in between the two sides to stop it from flexing, but that would be a lot of work and added weight.

It would not be too hard to add a slight taper towards the centre of the rim would it?

Luke.

I thought about that last night. I don't think it will be too hard to make the mags a little larger in diameter and taper them. Thanks for the help and inspiration, Luke!

I've wanted one of those mag wheels for ever!! For some reason I actually never though of making my own. :headbang:
Very Cool.

There is a machine shop here that has a CNC water jet. These things are sooo cool, I may see if I can get them to cut one for me, If it isn't too expensive. I will share the program with you guys if that happens. I'm playing this weekend so nothing will be done on the bike, physically anyway... Have a good weekend! :grin:

Wanna get your mind spinning? Google up "cone calculator" and roll your own disc. I think the calc could be used to figure a cool mag wheel...

Carl.

Thanks for the detail pics of those wheels, I had bee racking my brain about how to make some 5 spokes for my MBBO entry.... which I haven't started yet....I had seen some pics of another bike where they were just sandwiched around the spokes of a old alloy 5 spoke wheel which was no help as I don't have any alloy 5 spokes, but this method looks very doable.

Last edited:
Cool wheel, made right here in Wichita Kansas in the late 60s. Jaxon had made some clones, I have one I modified. Really a flashy looking wheel. Commands a lot of attention. I used it on my Purp-a-trator build a while back. It has since undergone some changes. Watching your build. :cool2:

I'm giddy with this new revelation. So, as one guy posted on FB "cheap china mass produced crap", I feel the same way! But, it does give a good source for parts. Luke has inspired this next idea. I was going to cut the back hub apart and mount a disc brake in it, so I could paint it. I don't like the color of the rim! Then after watching Luke build his rims I had this idea. The guy in the pic is the owner of The Great Divide here in Pueblo, Co. He has a great shop and is my goto guy for new parts. He pulled this bike out of his vault one time when we were talking Muscle Bikes. I called him today and asked if he could pull the bike out again so I could take some pics, he said no prob. I think this idea will work for me and this build.

GSw8Vpc.jpg

I want to convert the Schwinn fat rim with copies of this mag. So, here's what I want to do. Lee let me copy the pattern of the mag. Mine wont taper from the hub to rim, it will be flat and welded to the hub. I wont be using this rim. I just brought it in for sizing and taking pics. This is an old rim I had in the scrap pile. Someone tried to weld a 42 tooth sprocket on the free wheel and just wasted it. I already removed the hub to cut up and mount a disc on it.
qLtfBMg.jpg

This mag was in the shop when Lee bought it. He had a local machine shop copy it twice for him out of stainless steel. Those mags are in the bike. This is the original.
5hCTxIE.jpg

I want to use channel iron for my spacers.
0oeGcTi.jpg

I plan on using 1/8" plate. I'll weld mine to the axle like Luke did... man I hope this works!!!
eDpeGKI.jpg
Very inventive and creative! This will be a fun one to watch develop...sounds like you have a solid plan...

Wanna get your mind spinning? Google up "cone calculator" and roll your own disc. I think the calc could be used to figure a cool mag wheel...

Carl.
I googled cone calculator. When I clicked on some of the web sites, my head exploded!! :comando: I've always hated math and when I saw a bunch of letters in the place of numbers, I knew this was not for me. When I went to college for automotive design we were told there would be NO math classes!! We are to design it, it's up to the engineers to make it work. :banana:

Latest posts

Back