(MBBO #5 class 2) Slow Roll

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20161113_144153.jpg

Black coat, dropped a little silver metallic in it.

20161113_154413.jpg
20161113_154327.jpg

Here's a comparison of the forks, darker color in flourescent VS sunlight. Pops pretty nicely.

This paint is at least 10 years old, been frozen a few times. I mixed and shot a test on each run and it was acting fine so I used it. It's called Hawthorne, the company later became "paint for cars" online. Budget enamel, the pearl is from an ebay seller. gun is from harbor freight 1.4 tip used on everything. Didn't want to mess with the good guns.
Nothing high buck.

Thanks guys, shot a lot of single stage in the past, second time doing a pearl job from scratch.

I've got some equipment to shoot soon, I'll do a how to on using industrial enamel with a harbor freight gun. I use valspar or rustoleum on that stuff, lays down nice and hardens up with the mix ratio I use. Perfect for bike resto, much more durable than rattle can, reasonable cost, readily available.

20160925_114747.jpg

Here's the first pearl job I did. Went overboard on the pearl. Blue pearl, red flake, purple over that, pink over that. I lost the base color completely, but it pops in the sun.
BMX I'm doing for my daughter, I'll ride it til she gets a little taller. Got her on a diamondback RM Jr currently.
I'll do a build thread on it soon. I have a couple aluminum frame BMX in the works after this build off is done.

Great looking build Indy. WoW.
I LOVE all of your McGyver moves. Ceiling fan, sink strainer...next you'll be making a wheelie bar out of a spatula...lol.
I'm diggin the paint job, for sure.
I've been watching this one...especially the shifter part...cuz I have the same deal... 3 spd. rear freewheel, and using the stub of the shifter from the original Univega Road Bike...I think that's going to be my challeng, I never did a shifter conversion .still not sure if i 'get it'.....yikes.
Seeing that 'spacer' thing you did on the freewheel...most excellent..blends in nice since you painted it black too
:thumbsup::thumbsup:
franco

20161118_085438.jpg
Funky little stem I found, gave up on it twice and finally got it working. Had to shorten the shaft into the fork, and grind the bar hole to normal size, it was some odd small kid bike diameter. I'm stepping up my photos guys, plaid background is era appropriate-right??
http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-save-stripped-stem-and-bars-knurling.101102/

Assembly this weekend, wanted to give the paint a good cure time before I started clamping and bumping it around, its been difficult to let it sit though.

Last edited:
I've been watching this one...especially the shifter part...cuz I have the same deal... 3 spd. rear freewheel, and using the stub of the shifter from the original Univega Road Bike...I think that's going to be my challeng, I never did a shifter conversion
:thumbsup::thumbsup:
franco
Franco, appreciate the kind words, im having fun with this. I'm watching your shifter conversion too, we're both figuring it out as we go, I got the idea from other threads on here. Got a cool shifter rod made, mounting is still a little hazy. May take a few trips to ace hardware, luckily it's a block away.

Latest posts

Back