(MBBO #5 Class II) Four-gone Conclusion...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OddJob

Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
I picked up this Rollfast frame last year from a local on CL. At first I wasn't sure if it was a 24" frame or 26". It came with a set of 24" Schwinn S-type wheels. After getting it home, I stuck a 26" rear wheel and tire in, and it fit....barely. It came without a fork, so upon realizing that it could take a 26", I transferred a fork from a freebie ("we're going to throw this out, do you want it") girl's middle weight bike and with some 1" washer spacers added on the steer tube, it fit.

Flash forward a year and a few months to a few weeks ago. Sitting around during the end of BO-11, a thought struck me. 'That Rollfast, being a bit more on the small side for a 26" cruiser, would make a great big boy muscle bike'.....So, here I am with an entry in the Class II category with 'Four-gone Conclusion'.....which is a self-incriminating statement on my usual builds..RUSTY and CRUSTY!

Why not break the mold for an OddJob build? Let's do it 'shiny' and....gasp....'geared'. I found my muse on ebay, a wide, 14 g spoked Shimano Nexus 4 hub equipped rear wheel! And....pretty darn cheap as Int hub rear wheels go.

The break-down: It will be red. It will have a custom red leather 'naner. It will have shiny chrome. It will shift. It will have a Thickslick rear tire (hopefully :43: ) jammed in the rear end. It will have a 24" Schwinn front S-rim with a 24 x 1 3/8 Vee small knobbed front tire (I know, it'll never fit on an S-rim....we'll see....:wink1: ) And as Doug Marcaida would say, " It wiiilll kill."

20160830_120548.jpg

20160830_120736.jpg

20160830_120806.jpg

20160830_120721.jpg

20160830_120646.jpg

20160830_120624.jpg

Here we go! And as always ..... RaT oN !

I still want, the woody.:thumbsup:
Be watching :forum:
Thomas, that woody rides so nice! My friend Wil (who rode it yesterday) said it reminded him of a true beach bike (he's in Florida these days on the gulf)....I took that as a real compliment! When we were waiting at a light, another cyclist rode by and said, "Nice fenders." Wil yanked his thumb towards me and replied, "Thanks. My buddy made 'em." :)

Wow. Take a couple days off to enjoy the northwoods and you go to the bottom of this build list real quick!

So it's always a bit meloncholy to close up the camp again after a great summer. So I figured some rust and old paint sanding was the perfect antidote. Pretty mindless, but needful to make the next steps....

20160904_160048.jpg

...and once the old OddJob ball gets rolling....
Flat red primer now applied in the first coat. Supposed to rain the next couple days, wanted to get a base down before that comes. May be shacked up in The BACK40 truing wheels, and cleaning chrome for the time being.
20160904_180958.jpg
20160904_180921.jpg

You sure this one will be shiny? Looks like a good base for fauxtina.
Man, you are right on script again Shakesbeer. I was thinking that while I was putting on the spray tonight. Kind of had some metallic sparkly stuff on my mind for this one.....but...

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see what you'd come up with as far as shiny goes. But, I'm familiar with your rustification.

You sure this one will be shiny? Looks like a good base for fauxtina.
You guys are in the wrong build off if you're thinking patina... Muscle cars and muscle bikes are not lead sleds or bare metal bombs or faux patina. Muscle bikes shine! They have awesome paint schemes, fades and flames, checkered flags and chrome. Not rust. On a rat rod it's a sweet patina but on a muscle bike it's rust. Not the same. It's tough, I like patina too, but the paint scheme makes or breaks a muscle bike. Chromes gotta shine.

Carl.

You guys are in the wrong build off if you're thinking patina... Muscle cars and muscle bikes are not lead sleds or bare metal bombs or faux patina. Muscle bikes shine! They have awesome paint schemes, fades and flames, checkered flags and chrome. Not rust. On a rat rod it's a sweet patina but on a muscle bike it's rust. Not the same. It's tough, I like patina too, but the paint scheme makes or breaks a muscle bike. Chromes gotta shine.

Carl.
That's why I said this.
Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see what you'd come up with as far as shiny goes. But, I'm familiar with your rustification.

Carl.
I disagree, this is still RatRodBikes, we can put our own spin on the muscle bike genre and add some rust!

I like shiny too though!

Luke.

Looking Good!
(I think your Rollfast is a Columbia) But that doesn't matter.
Yeah, I was going by some input I had received on the frame after I got it. I'm no expert in the bike I.D. world that's for sure. I welcome all info in that regard...

The dropouts and that bracket where the kickstand would bolt up are telltale Columbia. The serial number should be on the left dropout and you can tell the manufacture date by it. But what matters is the frame is in good shape and will work well for your build.

Latest posts

Back