(MBBO Class 1) Fruit Krate be Done!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chain hasn't showed up yet, but visually there's a lot of angular offset. The rear triangle on a 64' is smaller with shorter stays. I read they only used this frame the first year and then modified it for 1965 stretching out the rear chain and seat stays... mostly why the larger sprocket shouldn't fit. Starting in 65' the Stingray had a new frame and the old one was now the Junior... The divot in the frame works fine, a spacer would make the chainline even worse...I'll be looking at the rear hub to see if I can get the gear further out. It's got the clearance...

Carl.

I took apart a 6 speed and just put the small speocket back on for my summer build.

Which, is rusting up nicely.

Not sure if your frame can take the wide hub or not.

What size cog is on the rim of the Fruit Krate? I am assuming the largest front sprocket that would fit without modification is a 48? I would use the largest front sprocket that would fit and go with a 14, 15 or 16 tooth rear cog.

Originally we had the wheels between the bars, but when we tipped it up they didn't even touch the ground! So a section of the skateboard was fitted, the supports need shortened a bit and I need some extra bracketing to hold the board parallel to the old sissy...
It's a work in progress.

Carl.

Sunny day, showin' off the paint.

Gettin' there, WeeBars ain't done but close...

Carl.
Maybe you could cut another piece of board to mount the trucks to then run screws in from the three adjustable holes on the sissy to mount the board and wheels to and move the strut bars to the outside just making suggestions ?

Maybe you could cut another piece of board to mount the trucks to then run screws in from the three adjustable holes on the sissy to mount the board and wheels to and move the strut bars to the outside just making suggestions ?

I cut a skate board in half and then took a good quarter inch off each side to get it to fit inside the sissy. The 1/2 board and truck are on there and the bolt thru the supports actually goes under the board and thru the truck. Two small angle brackets pinned to the board and bolted to the sissy will finish it off. I looked at screws thru into the board but it's just plywood...

Carl.

Last edited:
I cut a skate board in half and then took a good quarter inch off each side to get it to fit inside the sissy. The 1/2 board and truck are on there and the bolt thru the supports actually goes under the board and thru the truck. Two small angle brackets pinned to the board and bolted to the sissy will finish it off. I looked at screws thru into the board but it's just plywood...

Carl.
I see now it didn't look wide enough in other pic after I made the coment I wondered about the strength of the board looks very cool with the action figure maybe a permanent passenger?

Chain came, and the chain line is fine. Whew, now I have just a bit of work to go on the weezly o_O bar. My boy and I both were riding it around tonight. It's nice, a bit elbowie with the forks out front like they are, but it doesn't take long to get the hang of it. It's quick too with the big front gear, I think it'll ride wheelies easy. Pics soon.

Carl.

Has that wheelie bar been tested yet? Looks like a smooth riding machine! Well done!
Very little wear on those blue wheels eh?
I tried it. But it's cold out and I didn't have the patience.
It feels like it will just go down the road tho...
May go back to a smaller sprocket at some point too.
Ultimately it's up to my boy. :113:

Carl.

More Pics

Looks good the forks and wheelie bar is perfect looks like it traveled straight from the 70s. GOOD JOB!!
Thanks! My boy says he's gonna use it as his daily...
We'll see! Was fun to build and will continue to evolve.

Carl.

Latest posts

Back