MBBO Class 2- ALUMINIUMIZING

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Wasn't going to participate in this round because "I have absolutely no inspiration to build a Muscle Bike. I'm a road cyclist at heart and a hobby Mountain Biker. Muscle bikes are what I rode around when I was 7 years old. At my age, I'm more refined in my bicycle tastes." Had myself convinced that Muscle bikes were me living in the past.

But then I stumbled on this for $10 at a second hand store...
bfb5cccfb8e61d32a7592a784ee3ca16.jpg
c70802beb65e1bd943dd5dc13a70fbfb.jpg

I've since changed my tune, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's muscly alright! And it was really refreshing to hear a roadie 'come clean' and admit he likes bikes without skinny tires too....:21:

Just kidding Troy! Looking forward to your build.

Got a chance to start "envisioning" today.
I pulled the shock from the rear swing arm to drop the stance and popped on some 26ers wheels as a start. No major weld fabrication on this frame as I don't have the capability to weld aluminum. Going to have to be a nut and bolt design process for this part.
95f8024baff528bd1120413c88807404.jpg
bfe15be969b09332dcf454beac3a65c9.jpg

Cool concept, nice curves. Im guessing the triple tree would be same height or higher than the suspension fork.

How would a cantilever laid back post with a banana seat work. Keep the rear suspension?

Does that vertical tube, off the bottom bracket, under the swing arm do anything?

Last edited:
Cool concept, nice curves. Im guessing the triple tree would be same height or higher than the suspension fork.

How would a cantilever laid back post with a banana seat work. Keep the rear suspension?

Does that vertical tube, off the bottom bracket, under the swing arm do anything?
Derailleur mount.

Can you flip the rear arms over? Would look cool with arms curved up.
I'm going to try that and see how it looks. My hope is that it doesn't drop the bottom bracket too low to make it unable to pedal though...
The next photo will be of the swing arm flipped and on it. (If I actually get a free moment to get back at it, lol)

I'm going to try that and see how it looks. My hope is that it doesn't drop the bottom bracket too low to make it unable to pedal though...
The next photo will be of the swing arm flipped and on it. (If I actually get a free moment to get back at it, lol)
BB height was my first thought as well Troy. I'm thinking it will be a real pedal scraper...

Not having the correct monster size Allen wrench and after several unsuccessful attempts (with a 5/8" bolt head) to separate the rear swing arm from the front triangle, I decided to start working on stripping the frame down to the bare aluminum base. Looks like I'm making a trip to Princess Auto after work tomorrow to find a 5/8" Allen wrench.
5c45483accfc1ced7024f38fab1ca2be.jpg

Been a long, busy stretch at work so I haven't had a chance to get too much done to it. I did score some parts for it though and had a chance to get them fitted to it to mock it up.
Shorty short crankset from a kid's bike...
b5983183000e184e07e242a105e520e9.jpg

Shortens the crank length about 2 inches from before.
e29424df7a59a333ab69064f7592e8b9.jpg

Also got a 20" front wheel and a big'um 26 x 3 rear tire.
d407b0424a0437dd18fa8cb716b4c90c.jpg
556dbdfcdf08c64b1a24f78174336002.jpg
3" crank arm clearance as it sits. I can now adjust ground clearance with the front fork design.

I like your style Troy! This bare frame has a great industrial muscle vibe . Can't wait to see it come together ...:thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back