(MBBO4 Class 1) SixtyNine Spyder: All Done!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wasn't going to start till early next week, but I'm getting anxious, so I had to start. I know everyone knows how to build a bike, but I had a request from a (non-RRB member) friend to see a detailed build, so I'm going to try to document my every step from start to finish.

So let's do this!

GFfxMa.jpg

I started with the head badge, and tapped in the mounting rivets. (I nicked the head tube pulling it out from under my bed. I think the headset cup will hide it.)

BiYcDD.jpg

uZiEs3.jpg

Then came the decals. I had to cut each stripe from the "pack" that they came in, then measure and mount each one individually. A real pain in the butt, but I think it came out nice. For comparison, here's the original decal placement.

AAWuxm.jpg

And mine. (I should have taken a close up, but oh well)

D9RRLv.jpg

oRC4Su.jpg

And lastly tonight, I smacked in the cups.

OsTh3N.jpg

29 degrees this morning. I had to take "warm up" breaks because my fingers would hurt. I'm taking my kids to a movie, so came to a stopping point. First...

I installed the BB + crank (The grease was frickin' cold!)

bBYMRA.jpg

Then went on the derailleur.

vInbmc.jpg

Then the rear fender/brake assembly.

fq6V0G.jpg

The rear wheel and chain...

2CmwqV.jpg

Then the chain guard.

tDIPth.jpg

That's how it sits right now.

On with the build...

Sissy and seat. The seat is a custom that I had made before the bike was painted. I thought gold would work well, but the paint turned out a little more "butterscotch" than I anticipated. The funny thing is, the paint is actually pretty true to a match of the original paint. But "gold" was the closest I could come in the seat regardless of any shade the paint came out. In the pictures, with the heavy white flash, they are pretty dissimilar. I'm thinking in the sun, when the deep metal flake shines, they may complement each other really well. We'll find out in the final pictures.

Y1I2C4.jpg

Shifter. I learned something as I installed the shifter. There are two built-in clips under the shifter for the brake housing. I never realized that, as I've seen Spyders with all kinds of mess for the housing. So I'm going to have to rethink the housing pattern. I had 5 frame clips ready to go, but we'll see.

aRfjJI.jpg

Kickstand.

xp1iX5.jpg

Fork, stem, fender & front wheel.

kJKXug.jpg

Bars, brake levers, grips and lever grips.

uAWrt5.jpg

Then I routed the housing. The brakes were a bear to get right. (I hate caliper brakes) I think I routed the housing pretty clean, and I only used two frame clips, both for the shift housing. I wanted to route the shift housing inside the sissy, but the first time I tried it, it threatened to hit the freewheel, so I played it safe.

buVP6F.jpg

Other than the cleanup, I'm going to call it done, save one question.

As you may remember, I've been collecting parts to save this Spyder for about 3 years. This original sissy I found unfortunately has some shade tree holes added to it, I'm assuming to add some sort of addition. Do I:

1) Leave it as-is?

2) Use my chrome tape to make little covers?

Wx0XXI.jpg

Looking great! The glitter vinyl does weird things in the light. I'll bet it looks good when you get it outside. It actually matches pretty well in the bottom pics there.

As you may remember, I've been collecting parts to save this Spyder for about 3 years. This original sissy I found unfortunately has some shade tree holes added to it, I'm assuming to add some sort of addition. Do I:

1) Leave it as-is?

2) Use my chrome tape to make little covers?
I would leave them be personally...
I also agree with Chad, some of this the seat looks like a perfect match!

Luke.

Great looking bike Crash, love that color and the seat is a nice touch! I would leave the holes open.

Latest posts

Back