(MBBO4 Class 1) Super Slingshot

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's red. But it's old and bleached out, and who cares. It's a shop rag. ;)

Sanding, sanding and more sanding. I've applied about 4 filler coats and have sanded the bike twice knocking down the high spots and getting the frame and fork smooth as porcelain. I should be in the paint booth in the morning.

PAINT DAY! (Warning: This is NOT Smoopy paint. Nothing to drop your jaw over. It's just a recreation of a Huffy paint scheme I wanted).

Hangin' the fork.

3fO6gY.jpg

Hangin' the frame.

QbMPY5.jpg

Hit them with the green first.

ffIddw.jpg

i1P801.jpg

And the seat clamp

londFI.jpg

Then I hit them with the purple and the clear.

bTRH8p.jpg

pz7M6f.jpg

I'm going to let them cure for about a week. I've still got a lot of parts to polish and prep for this build, and of course I'm still waiting on the Flaming Stack chain guard. I really hope he pulls through. I'm very worried about that.

looking good, interesting color combo, will be wild done :)

As a reminder for what I was going for... even though the colors don't look good in this pic, I took the Anti-freeze green from the Super Stocks you see a lot. And the purple I matched pretty well to my daughter's 24" Super Stock. So I think the colors are pretty accurate to what the bike in the ad should look like.

iLExIX.jpg

Discovered a bit of an issue with the "red" paint marker I bought to create the red lines for my tires. It came out more pink than red. Now I have to scramble for a solution before the deadline.

Discovered a bit of an issue with the "red" paint marker I bought to create the red lines for my tires. It came out more pink than red. Now I have to scramble for a solution before the deadline.
Go to the auto parts store and get red vinyl dye (for seats). Spray it into a cup, let it sit for a minute to evaporate a bit of the solvent, then brush it on. It will take a couple of coats, but it will look great.

Had that same issue with the paint pens I used on my Spyder tires, look pink-ish. Although I used craft store paint pens, not the WalMart Elmers ones ppl reccomend.

For the console - I've yet to do mine, but was thinking about sanding it smooth and covering with 'Bare Metal Foil' ( the model car guys use this iultra thin adhesive shrome for trim,etc - should be able to get at any well stocked hobby shop ). if you put the seams on the corners, unseen places it should work, Not sure when I'll try it out but I did get the foil already.
hmm...

Paint looks sweet dude!
I'd love to have one of those shifters for my 'Rail 7' build from last year's MBBO. If you have a lead on any, let me know.
Cheers!
They are like hen's teeth. Rob Eagleeye has a nice shifter for sale, but I haven't seen a console on Ebay in forever. Last one I saw was broken and the guy still wanted a mint for it.

Another problem is decals. I bought Rob's last wood grain decal and I've never seen them sold otherwise. A guy I know sells the shifter decals (Black with the white numbers) but not the wood grain.

Merry Christmas all!!

As I wait for the paint to cure I'm polishing... everything. Every nut, every washer, every bolt. I think I've mentioned that. But to prove how ridiculous I get I took a "progress" pic of the front fender. This is the underside. You know, the part no one will ever see. But... I fully removed the rust, and polished it. I POLISHED IT! (Ok, to be fair I was in the garage avoiding my mother-in-law as much as I could. But... I polished the underside of a fender that will never be seen. (And yes, I did go on to complete the entire underside.)

I have issues.

07PqKD.jpg

Between the sweet paint and your attention to detail the only choice is to polish all the chrome... This will be another of your beautiful builds my friend. Too cool.

Carl.

Latest posts

Back