Meet Virginia, Smooth Bahama Blaster, Lake Loafer, Pirate's Princess, Whiskey Girl

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chain guard tabs removed.
20190628_200559.jpg
20190628_200615.jpg
20190628_200625.jpg

Turns out the rims and tires off that green bike were at some time heisted off of those bike share bikes that you see layin around some places.
I thought something was up with those five sided axle nuts, and found out what was up when I went to let the air out of one and relized there was no valve stem....and that the tires were solid rubber. Then searched for ofo bicycle tire.
Guess I'll have to cut the spokes to get that Nexus 3 out of there.

Turns out the rims and tires off that green bike were at some time heisted off of those bike share bikes that you see layin around some places.
I thought something was up with those five sided axle nuts, and found out what was up when I went to let the air out of one and relized there was no valve stem....and that the tires were solid rubber. Then searched for ofo bicycle tire.
Guess I'll have to cut the spokes to get that Nexus 3 out of there.
Solid rubber tires are a pain in the rear to take off or put on a rim (I used to work part time in a wheelchair workshop some years ago...).
Some very soapy water combined with leverage and brute force will do the job most of the times... [emoji6]

Gesendet von meinem K00Y mit Tapatalk

Solid rubber tires are a pain in the rear to take off or put on a rim (I used to work part time in a wheelchair workshop some years ago...).
Some very soapy water combined with leverage and brute force will do the job most of the times... [emoji6]

Gesendet von meinem K00Y mit Tapatalk
Didn't think it was worth the effort to try and pry the tire off. If I'd thought about it, I'd've cut the tire off....to save the 34 good spokes. Two were bent.
But, I got'r out with the cutoff tool.;)
20190629_200309.jpg
20190629_200414.jpg

Virginia's been feelin down in the dumps with losin' her wheels and pedals and handlebars. And all the exfoliating and little bits bein' cut off. And a storm blowin in.
20190629_193838.jpg

And Barnebey gettin all the action.
Just layin around waitin to die...
20190629_193730.jpg

And listenin' to the blues.

Getting closer. Another super cheap donor bike. Layback seatpost, Redline seatpost clamp, looks like a Fusion quill stem. I kinda like the crank, pedals, and maybe the chainring.
Might even use the seat. That last one had Virginia feelin like Jenny from the block.
And the guy said "the bars are supposed to look like that." :D
20190704_221154.jpg
20190704_221215.jpg

Startin to look like this could turn into a ratty bmx build. Just gotta polish up the stem a bit. A few new nuts and washers.
Might be onto a three band coaster and/or a 4-speed coaster. Then pick a fork, and that'll clear up the picture and I'll be able to choose a suitable frame color.

Last edited:
SRAM also made an automatic (centrifugal force shift) 2 speed with coaster brake.
I think it was called the Automatix.

I’ve got one on my 56 Higgins project
11d53b275b9e752e403d9fffc110f5af.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's the one I'd like, as it doesn't automatically downshift if you tap the brakes.
But I'm not seein any new or used ones with the coaster brake.
Mainly just didn't want to scuff up a set of old school 7x rims after I polish them up. And don't know how I feel about a drum brake, looks or performance.

SRAM also made an automatic (centrifugal force shift) 2 speed with coaster brake.
I think it was called the Automatix.

I’ve got one on my 56 Higgins project
11d53b275b9e752e403d9fffc110f5af.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had two of those, and they worked well for me. Changing cogs to get a different ratio was easy, same size cogs as most one speeds. Now I can't find them to get another one, anywhere.

Thanks for the link. I may just end up going this way.
The 4-speed and 3-band I was considering of course aren't available any more and I'm sure parts aren't easy to find.

And no cables or shifter like I'd have with the 3-speeds.
A good Bendix yellow band or red band (3 bands) 2 speed would even be better. There are a lot of them out there, but they are from the 60's. Still a lot of good ones though.
upload_2019-7-6_7-54-28.jpeg

Latest posts

Back