Meet Virginia, Smooth Bahama Blaster, Lake Loafer, Pirate's Princess, Whiskey Girl

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found another candidate as a chain ring donor.
20190711_214241.jpg
Don't know where it came from, but it's been layin out back for about a quarter century.
The small chain ring is still shiny and should clean up nicely. It's around a 40 tooth, which should put 2nd gear on the 4-speed around 1:1 ratio.
I'd discard the big chainring. Then paint and reattach the chain guard.

The made in Nashville Arkansas Roadmaster frame may have some potential as a single speed 26" cruiser. The top bar is right at 23" center to center. And it takes the 1 1/8 steerer, so I could maybe use the OCC chopper fork, and then an extra low mounted banana seat.:39:

Now was just lookin at an old lawn mowers shifters....
And I ran across this
20190712_211207.jpg

Back to TRM's quoise now...for some more learnin

When I was a kid... around 10 or 11... I would've had this bike torn down, scuffed or sanded with whatever scraps I could find, laid on the garage floor on newspaper, and painted with black primer or red caliper paint or whatever was handy within a couple of hours. And it would have looked good. And I would've been content and happy with my efforts and the results.

Today... after weeks of preparation and resanding over rust spots that had appeared since the last time I sanded it, and procrastination along with indecision, I have decided to throw caution to the wind and proceed with the finishing process.
20190714_103753.jpg

Sufficiently sanded, scuffed, and cleaned, Virginia is strung up by a toenail awaiting the base coats.

And a coat of bonding primer...just to make sure.
20190714_111533.jpg

Virginia looks radiant in flat white as the sun peaks through the tree tops.
I could just follow up with some matte clear and be done with it. But nah....

Little bit of slag that went unnoticed will need to be hit with the cordless drill and grinding wheel.
20190714_113959.jpg
And a couple flaws I made while laying down primer will be given some attention.

A whole can each of Rustoleum Gloss Protective Enamel followed by Rustoleum Satin Clear Enamel.
20190714_194950.jpg

Still gotta paint the forks and handlebars tomorrow night...or order some new ones. And get all the rest of Virginia's booty together. Along with probably ordering a bottom bracket conversion kit, and maybe a chainring guard.
Frame should be plenty dry enough for assembly next weekend.

In the mean time...
20190714_212108.jpg

I been soakin my new old 3-band Bendix 2-speed in some hytrans....just in case I feel the need for something antique-ish in this build.
20190714_212936.jpg

The brake lever is missing a bit of chrome, but I think the rest of it is going to turn out real nice.

Nice job onthe paint. Looks good!
Thank you!
I was a bit worried about using oil base Rustoleum as some other members have frowned upon it, preferring acrylic.
But it really flows out well once sprayed on. And that made it easy to cover a couple of places that I accidentally touched it trying to get all the tough angles covered.
I'll give it plenty of time to dry. Then wet sand with 1500 if necessary.

Latest posts

Back