Meet Virginia, Smooth Bahama Blaster, Lake Loafer, Pirate's Princess, Whiskey Girl

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20190715_000537.jpg

Virginia's feelin a little better about her situation. Like she's almost home from a long journey.

THAT song... Since the first trialer movie of Fallout 76 it's sung on EVERYONE of the postapocalyptic festivals/coventions in PL. Just imagine... 50 drunk guys & gals... on karaoke... at 4:00 am... WEST VIRGINIAAAAAAA MOUTAAAAAIN MAMAAAAA...

Sorry, had to post this :21:

I tell ya. One 12 ounce can of color is just barely enough. And if I was doing it over again, with the oil based paint, I'd let the paint fully cure and then wet sand before spraying the clear coat.
Seems that when the clear coat hits the not completely dry paint, the paint starts to flow again. And so I ended up with a couple of spots that are a little thin. Not so bad that I want to do it over. But that may change in a few days when it gets dry enough to wet sand.
And if I was doing it over again I'd get a second can of color from the get-go.

We shall see. Might end up buying another can of paint and another can of clear.
Of course that first can of satin clear enamel came in my big garage sale score. So not really out anything there.

THAT song... Since the first trialer movie of Fallout 76 it's sung on EVERYONE of the postapocalyptic festivals/coventions in PL. Just imagine... 50 drunk guys & gals... on karaoke... at 4:00 am... WEST VIRGINIAAAAAAA MOUTAAAAAIN MAMAAAAA...

Sorry, had to post this :21:
Ha! Well there's plenty more Virginia songs to come! We're just getting started.

And since Virginia is now the Orange Smoothie, we got this

Last edited:
Update: Still waiting for the orange paint to fully dry.

Now I know why a lot of guys here don't use oil based Rustoleum. But I always gotta learn things the hatd way. And I also laid it on way to fast and way too thick.
Almost wish I'd stopped after the black primer stage. But there was a lesson to be learned.

I'll be repainting it in another week or so, when it's fully dry, with some duplicolor.

The oil paint was so soft, that when I took and then set it down after two days, some of the paint was damaged under the weight of the frame. And then I dinged it up a bit more.
And while the orange looked cool at first, it's gotten old quickly. So I'l going back to my original first color choice with the repaint.

Also still contemplating my choice of bars and forks.

The paint has finally hardened after two weeks.
I sanded a few spots where it got dinged up.
15642627633172073190188.jpg

I guess I'll get another can of orange, and another can of satin clear. And patch it up. Then leave it hanging for another two weeks so it won't have a chance to get damaged before it dries completely.

Thinkin of ordering some new 8 or 9 inch black bars. The 8" Redline Flight Pro looks nice.
download (2).jpeg

And sealed bottom bracket stuff for 3-piece crank.

Looked for some Oakley grips like I ran when I was a kid. But danged if folks weren't wantin near two hunerd bucks for'em.

Last edited:
Got these swoopy freestyle bars today, that I will use. The curvy lines should go well with the frame.
20190731_195915~2.jpg

27.5 by 9 tall seems about right to me. And not angled too far back.
I guess that knurling on the crossbar is for when I want to steer with my foot? Or maybe so whoever is sitting there won't slide off.

With more chrome on the way, and no black, a color change is imminent.
Shades of blue automotive spray bombs standing by.

Got these swoopy freestyle bars today, that I will use. The curvy lines should go well with the frame.View attachment 100703
27.5 by 9 tall seems about right to me. And not angled too far back.
I guess that knurling on the crossbar is for when I want to steer with my foot? Or maybe so whoever is sitting there won't slide off.

With more chrome on the way, and no black, a color change is imminent.
Shades of blue automotive spray bombs standing by.

I’m running those some bars (BlackOps?) on my ‘Schwinn’ strandie
d4a0d684c10f010fab930c423c872cd1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As Virginia is moving to increase her position in the world, I think back to simpler times... when she was my little rough around the edges girl..
20190528_193429.jpg

Sunday afternoon is shaping up to provide perfect painting weather for my outdoor hanging from a tree paint booth.

It rained all morning, and is expected to rain some more tonight and in the morning before clearing up in the afternoon.

All the rain has settled the dust, and the high tomorrow is supposed to be 89. With temps steadily increasing through the week topping out around the century mark by Friday to provide nice paint drying weather.

So today, I got the framed all smoothed out again and scuffed and sanded everywhere.

Bonding primer, two cans of Bahama blue, and matte clear are at the ready.

Every part I need, except a seat, is ready and available to bolt on.
And I have a seat. Just not "the seat".
And after I make it a rolling, rideable bike, also plan to learn how to lace a wheel this month. So hoping to drag this evolving build back to the original plan before the deadline.

Last edited:
Got it mostly ready. Couple of errors that got the fix goin on. But should have it ready tomorrow night...and then probably leave it hangin until Friday, just to make sure.

Due to the shadows, color is a little off in the photo. Look for the lightest shade(that's not primer), and that's it all over.
20190804_191731.jpg

I got so many options. But am now leaning towards the kickback.
20190804_194005.jpg

A little more spit and polish, then paint the bands(probably gloss black). Then lace it in the 7x.
So for now, real clean and simple. No cables, shifters, or levers.
I may add a front brake down the line if I get annoyed with it down shifting everytime I want to slow down a bit.

Considering the back half of the water ski for a flat banana.
20190723_192711.jpg

It'd be flipped over upside down. Probably could use some waxing.
Cut off about where the tool is.
20190804_200433.jpg

Pad and cover about the front two-thirds. Then maybe some rails on the sides behind that for a rack.
Maybe with the rudder facing down just in front of the seatpost.
20190804_200459.jpg

I got this old life jacket that I can cut up and double or triple stack for padding.
20190804_200509.jpg

Looked around the web for some super duty marine vinyl.
Appears to be readily available. And not too expensive.

Attachments

• 20190804_200459.jpg
    20190804_200459.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 124

Latest posts

Back