Meet Virginia, Smooth Bahama Blaster, Lake Loafer, Pirate's Princess, Whiskey Girl

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinkin Bahama Blaster because the color, Bahama Blue.
And I had originally planned to use the 8-speed. Which really might come in handy cruisin the hills and curves at the State Park roads and the new paved bike path around the local lake.
And then I considered the Caribbean Cruiser because this

But with only two speeds, and the lake having the nearest beach, she's the Lake Loafer....but still smooth

Progress over the past couple of weeks has been mostly stifled by my 60 hour work weeks and mainly the 100+ temps.
But a cold front blew in this morning along with a little rain, keeping the high in the mid-90's. Which will present more favorable conditions in my understory "paint booth' this evening.
So should be able to put the finishing touches on the frame and be ready to get'r rollin shortly thereafter.

On a very hot and breezy morning, after waiting for what seemed like and was very close to a month for favorable painting conditions, I threw caution into the wind and re-sprayed the frame for the last time ever...maybe
Very difficult to lay down a wet coat, as it dried nearly immediately.

Had a defect with the nozzles on an eleven dollar 8oz can of duplicolor.
20190818_100815.jpg

Luckily I had a spare from and old can.

You should never spray paint when it's hot and windy. Lots of waste and misdirection. Hard to lay paint down evenly.
But...f-it...I was tired of waiting for perfect weather and got'r done.

Again, color is way off due to the lighting. It's a very lightish shade of medium blue.
20190818_100922.jpg
With the heat and wind, paint should be near fully dry in a matter of minutes. But I'll give it a few days just to make sure. Will probably go back and touch up a spot or two.

Kind of had a plan to use the 8-speed when I got into this. But after acquiring the Nexus-4 wheelset, with how perfectly and solidly it shifts, I'm not absolutely sure if everything is as it should be with the 8 speed.
The cable was damaged and rusty in a spot when I got the bike it was on. It seemed to shift ok most of the time. But the gearing was way too low. Needs some sprocket adjustments. And probably shifter adjustments. And more testing and just generally making sure that it is worthy before going through the trouble of taking it out of the 700c rim and putting it in a 26. And being as the setting up of IGH's is all new to me, I'm going to put that 700c wheelset on a 26" mountain bike frame for extensive testing and evaluation.

So.... single speed freewheel, coaster brake Nexus-4, or the 3 band Bendix Automatic.

Although maybe not style of the other choices with the 7x rims, I really like that 4-speed if I can get the gearing just right and those rims don't look bad and shine nicely when clean. Just have to give it a week or so for the paint to cure before spreading the stays.

I got the chrome BMX fork. But with four speeds was kinda wanting to use a front brake. And am now thinkin about using the Tange infinity fork off of the old Schwinn Sierra, painted flat black. I have silver or black v-brakes for it.

I figure with the polished aluminum wheelset, along with polished aluminum BMX style stem, and the chrome layback seatpost and polished aluminum redline clamp, and most likely chrome bars, and some kind of shiny cranks, that ought to be enough shine.
And I don't have a decent caliper brake for this application.

Not absolutely sure that the Cruiser Four rims were intended for rim brakes. Or how long they'll last. I'll mostly be easy on them, as this is still a cruiser.
But if I get going up and down some hills I want to know I can stop if I need to.

One new part I'm going to have to get, along with a new bottom bracket, is a seat.
I've toyed with the idea of building a banana seat, but am now seriously considering a Brooks B66 in black with the chrome springs.
Kind of pricey for a cheap bike. I've seen them as low as $115 shipped. But it feels like the right thing to do.

Might also buy a supported layback chrome seatpost, as the BMX layback that I have might be a better match on the Kona BMX cruiser(that I don't have a seatpost for) along with a 1" to 27mm shim.

Last edited:
Had these tired old whitewalls layin around, Virginia's old shoes. And this big green marker....
20190825_083514.jpg

Color looked a little light. But too late to turn back now.

Accidentally got some on the old rim, so I went with it.
20190825_093311.jpg

Color got darker the more I put on. Hard to lay down evenly though.
20190825_093856~2.jpg
And I don't know how well the color is going to stick.

Probably should put on another coat to try and even it out...and get the green as dark as possible on the tire.

Second tire had a hole in it!
20190825_101815.jpg

Going to patch it on the inside. But was wanting to color it while it was aired up....oh well...rat on..., right?

Latest posts

Back