MELVIN STARR - Progress!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK.........I'm in :). I was going to sit this one out, but have decided to do a basic build. We have a new house, and don't have anywhere at home to build until I get my shed built, so I'll have to build at work at lunch and after work.The frame I'm using is a newer Malvern Star (old Aussie company now owned by Pacific Cycles :(). Not really sure what direction I'm taking yet, and don't have any current pics, as the frame is hanging in my storage unit, but this is what it looked like when I first got it.
DSCF3154-1.jpg

Another Oz in the mix.
And a great starting bike.
I use to own a Malvern Star wen I was young.
They produced some nice bikes in the hey days.

New frame or old frame, you always come up with something cool Bean.

Man, what a freakin' week!! 10 gigs in 7 days, a son with a stomach bug who was throwing up for a couple of days, and then me too with the bug :(. The first time it hit me was at a gig. I threw up on a break and managed to finish off the night without anyone knowing, then hit the chemist the next day for anti nausea pills, which let me get through the 3 gigs I had left.

Anyway, enough of that stuff. I'm super keen now to hook into this build, and have a couple of ideas floating around. I'll throw a couple of different batches of parts on the frame and see what I come up with. I'm leaning towards a chopped, dropped and raked look for now.......I think that big open area between the top and middle tubes is just asking for the head tube to be pulled back at the top.

I went at had a look at my storage area today and did a couple of quick mockups. I can't bring myself to cut this frame, it's just too nice. The current direction, given the parts I have at hand, is a single speed urban commuter with fat slicks. Something like a set of Velo Orange Porteur bars will go nicely.
3_4_1_7.jpg

I have a couple sets of bars something like those but with a little more rise, very comfy.

I'm ready to see this brother. You always amaze. GTB! PEACE

I have a couple sets of bars something like those but with a little more rise, very comfy.

I ordered a set of these.......they are the only thing I'll have to spend money on for this build (apart from paint). Not sure if I'll use them with a drop or rise. I'll try them both ways when I get them and decide then. The paint is very good, but I want to lose the decals which are buried under the clear coat, so I'll have to repaint or powder coat. It already has a Euro BB, so I'll dig some nice shiny alloy cranks out of the parts bins.

I'm enthusiastic, but still trying to build up my energy level after the huge week I had.

OK........frame change time :eek:

Over the last couple of days I've tried every different combination of parts I can think of on the frame, and just can't get the look I have in my head. The wheelbase is too long, and I don't want to cut the frame to shorten it. I could get the look I'm after by using 700c/29" wheels, but don't have any, and I'm not spending much money on this build.

New frame time. I initially had thoughts of using the new frame, but changed my mind, now I'm changing it again back to the original plan.........are you with me?
Still gonna be a single speed urban commuter with fat slicks. The frame is an 80's looptail 26" BMX Cruiser. I will be doing a fair bit of cutting, as my frame has a couple of cracks and dents, so I'm not concerned about the frame mods.

Here is a pic of the frame I'm using (not this actual bike, but the same frame)
img_4157_copy1_blowup.jpg

A pic I found of the back end of the actual frame I'm using
DSCF3510.jpg

I'll be shortening the rear end up to get the tire closer to the seat tube, and cutting out the top and middle tubes, and adding a single curved top tube in their place. Will also be having a name change when I come up with something fitting.

Love that looptail. Gonna be fun seeing you work magic, bean. Kinda like Jack and the Beanstalk. Magic Beans.

I managed to get a few things done today :) :) :)

I filed a radius on the bottom of the steerer tube to tidy it up. most people wouldn't see it or know it's been done, but I do :eek:.

Before
P1010543.jpg

After
P1010550.jpg

Yeah, I know the tire is on backwards........just a quick mockup.

Welded up a crack in the looptail and added a strengthening plate top and bottom.

P1010547.jpg

P1010548.jpg

P1010549.jpg

Mockup with wheels.....Boa-Gs on SunRim Double Wide rims
P1010546.jpg

Next job is to bend a new top tube and weld it in, and shorten the wheelbase slightly.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back