Mercury frame

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ahh... the one that got away.

So, a couple of weeks ago I saw a Mercury frame on eBay. It was only a few miles from my house and the seller was nice enough to let me look at it. It was in pretty decent shape and it had a pretty cool paint scheme on it. What really sold me on it was the headtube badge. Simple, bold, kind of an art deco flavor.... It was just cool.

But the seller listed the frame with another frame that I *think* (i'm pretty clueless on this stuff) was more desireable. I only wanted the Mercury frame. YesHoney (on this board) was the high bidder at the time so I tried to work out something with him to split the sale. I bid on the set of frames but came in second to a third person. Oh well, there will be other frames.

How do you figure the price for an old frame? Fenders, chainrings, etc.? Are there any good price guides out there? Whenever I have seen something similar for cars (where I have more experience) the books are a waste of time.

with bikes it always seems to me the value is what somebody wants to pay...
I find at one time the price difference on ebay for the same item can be huge
I had a super nice 74 schwinn speedster 20" same frame and wheels as a fastback coaster brake. and I thought it would make some one a great bike cheap........ didnt get an offer... so I switched the handlebars to highrise and but newer normal 20" wheels on it and a slick on the rear put it and the original wheels seperatly on ebay and nothing ....not a bid for 19 bucks even a few months ago I sold a similar bike not as nice as this one for $114 then a local guy had a blue schwinn trike on ebay.... it sold for 90 bucks on ebay and it was nice then I bought one here in town... beautiful schwinn town and country for $25 had it 3 days and got $350 out of it without trying to sell it lol
so as for bike prices I have no clue lol so now I have decided ..... nothing is for sale..... unless someone wants to buy it!

Hooch said:
with bikes it always seems to me the value is what somebody wants to pay...
I find at one time the price difference on ebay for the same item can be huge
I had a super nice 74 schwinn speedster 20" same frame and wheels as a fastback coaster brake. and I thought it would make some one a great bike cheap........ didnt get an offer... so I switched the handlebars to highrise and but newer normal 20" wheels on it and a slick on the rear put it and the original wheels seperatly on ebay and nothing ....not a bid for 19 bucks even a few months ago I sold a similar bike not as nice as this one for $114 then a local guy had a blue schwinn trike on ebay.... it sold for 90 bucks on ebay and it was nice then I bought one here in town... beautiful schwinn town and country for $25 had it 3 days and got $350 out of it without trying to sell it lol
so as for bike prices I have no clue lol so now I have decided ..... nothing is for sale..... unless someone wants to buy it!

So that is what you paid for the trike!!! What was the serial or year of that bike??

**Yeah Bikes are like cars. So times the parts are cheap and sometimes they are outrageous!!! I try to sell my stuff cheap to get it out the door.
1976 Ape Hangers $12
1930 Boys Hawthorne $75 (with rare parts)
1960s Mens Rollfast w/ tank $40
*These 2 items I am selling. So if youre interested, drop me a line at [email protected]
Thanks

Latest posts

Back