MFP Pursuit - missed the deadline

I’ll throw this in for Class One. While I’ve got a lot ahead of me in class 2, this should be a fairly quick build and one that doesn’t create much noise - so late nights and early mornings and other times when the house should be quiet can be build time.

Here is the donor frame. Same cheap cruiser style frame as I used in last years build off.
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/model-78.107115/
977A9E7D-1DED-4711-8CEA-EAE4AF7AC2B4.jpeg

Some other donor parts lurking in the pile.
FA3C915C-5ED9-441C-AB0C-7155ABE063BE.jpeg

Some inspiration. I’d like to build it in the cafe racer style and add my own paint scheme to be revealed in good time.
BBD59E7D-55BA-4A16-8FF3-F6EADF0F708A.jpeg

As with my other builds for Rat Rod bikes this will be a budget build using scrounged and cheap parts. I’ve spent $10 on some tyres and hope that will be about it except paint.

Last edited:
Phase one. Strip and mock. Hmmm. Strip two bicycle frames down, then use parts to mock up and assess stance.
7B85DA67-431D-4C3A-AE24-E403385414CC.jpeg

Looks ok. Proceed to phase 2. Think I’ll need to try some other bars. I’m also considering a rear hub motor for a little extra ‘pursuit’ motion. Just not sure the battery will fit in the frame without mods ie class 2, but I’ll be working in my class 2 later this week so might have to save the e part of this build until the build off is completed.

I had the idea for this build during last years build off but didn’t get around to starting it. Now I have a finish date I’ll try harder to get distracted from finishing it.

Thanks. I have a battery etc. picked up an incomplete conversion with bike for $250 last week. Spent a few ‘off build off’ hours removing the e-gear and putting the bike back together. Sold the bike this morning for $190 so I have a hub motor, battery and controls for $60. Just needs a charger. I haven’t test fitted the battery, but it just looks too big to work with the canti bars.

Reactions: MazdaFlyer
Not a lot of actual progress, but I’ve decided on using the e-bike kit. That also means working out some brakes for the forks and using a disc brake on the back. Little internetting today and it seems feasible. Off to the community bike centre tomorrow to scrounge some parts.

Reactions: LukeTheJoker
059E0051-048D-4AA6-AFC6-2334EE093209.jpeg
More mocking, but not significant progress. I’ve trimmed down the guards to what I think will work. Might shorten the back a little more. Also changed the bars over and found some forks - that have short steerers unfortunately. And the battery won’t fit in the frame. Does cutting the canti bars off mean I’m into class 2 territory or should I be finding another solution for pursuit power?

Sep 14, 2013
Bradley Illinoiz
www.instagram.com
A few ebikes conversions I've seen have the battery on a rack in the back. It's an opportunity to build an enclosure with some graphics or styling to match your theme. A second glance leads me to think that you might be able to hang it under the frame, positioned like a moto radiator would be. Is it an assembly of smaller batteries? If it is you might be able to build a custom box for them that fits in the space you want it to. Interested to see the fork build.

Carl.

Sent from the edge of an alternate universe...

Last edited:
Reactions: RustyGold
Thanks Carl. I wasn’t keen on adding a rack, it’s all about style!

I found a solution to the battery problem. Frame swap (hopefully that isn’t infringing upon the rules). Other than disassembling and then mock-up I haven’t touched the first frame. I almost tripped over the solution on the floor in my garage, then discovered it doesn’t have any canti bars.
75BE0574-1F2B-4F52-B184-05782CEFA59B.jpeg

Mar 26, 2012
Maplewood, MN
Yep, one frame swap per build-off is the way I understand it. The cutting of the cantis would have been a frame modification, which I believe would have landed you in Class 2.

Carl's 'frame radiator' comment made me think of this, a current option in the e-bike world of production bikes.

Scrambler-S-bike-product-1_41bd3041-f0b2-438b-b606-e017ac63c30f_2000x.jpg

Scrambler S, now that's a cool cucumber; with extra juice!

Reactions: Chad T
I’ve been a bit slack so progress is slow
A102CDC6-7898-4206-80AB-15332E43253D.jpeg
402F5341-717C-4975-8003-F7A2D36E8179.jpeg

Was trying to work out how to fix the shock to the second fork. The diameter of ge shaft was pretty close to 1”, then I noticed the base of the steerer tube was fatter. Lopped off the steerer, bored out the remaining tube a bit trimmed down the shock mounting eye and it fitted in neatly. Bit of a light weld, then some filler and it should look almost like it’a meant to be there.

Thanks. I’m just making it up as I go along. Preferring to buy tools and scrounge parts. Managed to pick up the big drill bit (15/16”) today as runout stock which was good, probably on runout because it’s imperial! I’m sure it’ll come in handy later as well somewhere.

Reactions: OddJob
The Bike Wall BOXKARS Clyde James Cycles