Middle of nowhere, Iowa finds

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stumbled across these on ebay a few days before I was heading out to Iowa, 4 miles off of my route. Couldn't pass them up.

Guy said he found them in the attic of an old gas station he just bought, along with a dump truck full of lumber

First off is a Cadillac badged girls 28" bike. I believe it might be Shelby built? Wheels are metal clad I believe (wood on the inside) 28" chain tire on back seems to be in nice shape. It has a mens long spring saddle with rotted pan. Missing the drop stand. The seat tube is slightly bent and it has a reweld, I'm hoping that can be fixed. I'm guessing its early 30's or even late 20's? It has the serial number on the bottom bracket, I can post that tomorrow.

IMG_1829.jpg

IMG_1830.jpg

IMG_1831.jpg

IMG_1832.jpg

IMG_1833.jpg

IMG_1834.jpg

Second is a Schwinn frame with planes and trains headbadge. Serial looks like it starts with a "B" on the bottom bracket. I know most of these can't be decoded, but I don't know much about Schwinn's this old so any info would be great. Looks like it was originally maroon. Rear stays and fork are bent, I'm hoping its fixable. Looks to be a 26".

IMG_1839.jpg

IMG_1840.jpg

IMG_1841.jpg

IMG_1842.jpg

Third is a 20" boys frame, I believe its a Monark. Not sure what happened to the handlebars.

IMG_1838.jpg

Next is the whole reason I went...

AMF Cantilever frame with Shockmaster fork and headlight! At first I thought the fork/light was added from a 55-57, but it turns out its original. I didn't think they made those forks after 57 but I guess I was wrong. I'm guessing this is probably a 58? Also has the cool star sprocket.

IMG_1835.jpg

IMG_1836.jpg

IMG_1837.jpg

I found this picture of "yeshoney's" bike

http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showthread ... s-SKY-KING

The Schwinn frame is either a '40 or '41 DX. The down tube has more curve on a '41, can't tell by the photo angle which one you have. Gary

Wow, nice finds. That AMF is super cool, I would have to agree with B607 the Schwinn does look 40, 41, and now you can truly say you own the Cadillac of bikes,Lol.

Great haul. Hard to tell from the photo, but looks like the handlebars from the 20 inch may have had water in them at one time and then froze and split. See that a lot here in the frozen north.

The cadillac badge is sweet, I would be tempted to find a monopoly roadster to use on the fender too wit that badge :)

i just drooled on my keyboard a little, i would trade my mother inlaw for that amf... :D any takers... haha noce finds buddy

B607 said:
The Schwinn frame is either a '40 or '41 DX. The down tube has more curve on a '41, can't tell by the photo angle which one you have. Gary

Thanks for the info, I'll get a better picture tomorrow.

Crassly said:
Great haul. Hard to tell from the photo, but looks like the handlebars from the 20 inch may have had water in them at one time and then froze and split. See that a lot here in the frozen north.

That and you can't tell from the picture but the whole left side looks like it got ripped off, the length of a grip.

Nice Ben ! Did you have your truck on the trip? You can also stop at the American Pickers shop in Leclair for fun it's only one mile off of 80 at the Mississippi.
Gary

XC204 said:
Nice Ben ! Did you have your truck on the trip? You can also stop at the American Pickers shop in Leclair for fun it's only one mile off of 80 at the Mississippi.
Gary

We had my dad's truck. We've been taking 20 lately so that's why we haven't stopped there yet.

Latest posts

Back