Mike Wolfe of American Pickers & FELT Bicycles create the "Red Wolfe" Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thinks it's cool.:cool2:

If someone on this forum would have taken a used stock Felt bike from CL and made it look like this one, Everyone here would be praising it. Successful people are easy targets.

Also, pricing is a two way street on vintage bikes, no one complains when they flip a $15 yard sale bike for $150! As far as MSRP goes, I couldn't spend that, but maybe I'm not in their target market. There are a lot of cool cars that I can't afford also. Is that their problem or mine?

Red_Wolfe_studio_profile_sm.jpg

Last edited:
I don't dislike Mike Wolf, and I think it's silly to blame HIM for the increase in bikes/parts. I am just not a fan of Felt bikes, I'm not into the new/retro look, their bikes remind me of the new mustang/camaro/challenger cars out there today, just not a fan of that look.

The bike is very cool, regardless of manufacturer or who's signature it has. As far as the $750 price tag goes, what would the pre 1970 price of a Schwinn Stingray equate to in 2014 dollars? I know there is a way to figure this exactly, but my gut feeling is it's pretty high. I do know that no kids in my neighborhood rode Schwinn because our parents couldn't afford them.
As far as people having a dislike for the Wolfe Man, he probably just laughs it off when he cashes his royalty checks based on the viewership of those haters.;)

A 1970 Sting-Ray 3 Speed retailed for $75.95 which equates to $459.58 in 2014 dollars. ;)

I thought it was a pretty good comparison. :)

You know that back in 1970 some folks were blown away that anyone would spend $75.95 on a kid's bicycle.

I watched an episode of Andy Griffith Show recently where Opie was trying to sell his used bike to a buddy for $5.00 and that was 1963. :21:

I don't get all the grief about it. You want people to be successful but not too successful? I'd rather watch that show than all the hillbilly "reality" they're pushing now but I don't have cable anymore so only see it at friend's houses now. I'm with the camp that Felt went to them to do the deal instead of the other way around. Felt does special editions all the time. The only opinion I have about the styling of it is that I would have done a springer front.

as much as everyone likes to complain about how the show has driven up prices, you all know there are still cheap finds out there. and the "rusty gold" part of it has done nothing but help us when it comes to selling on e-bay or craigslist!

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't talked to Mike in a while, so I don't know who's idea it was? I do know that Mike pitched the idea of the show for 4 years before it came to fruition. That kind of makes me believe it may be his idea. I've known him for 20 years, and he has always been an aggressive go-getter. On the other hand, with his continuing success and notoriety, it might have been Felt's idea.

I have to agree with farmallman.The reason were payingfor vintage bike's and part's is because of Wolfe and his "scripted" non real show. Don't like the bike,Felt,Wolfe or his show. I'm just saying.
I feel the same way 'cept for the part about not liking Wolfe, I never met the guy, Ive only seen the guy he plays on TV, maybe he's a nicer guy in person? I don't know. What I do know is the bike is over priced because of a decal, that's all.

The people that complain about the $ have been shopping at walmart too much... but they should have put a springer or some other fork on it and not copied the phantom paint scheme.

Latest posts

Back