Mildly confused

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been pondering on doing something with this frame. Nothing fancy...just a 80's Columbia cantilever frame. I was thinking of chopping it up but undecided if i wanted to or not. Then while looking around this morning at everybody else's projects. I got that itch that needed to be scratched. So out to the garage I went and started up the chopsaw, turned on the compressor, plugged in the welder. So then I sat...and sat a little bit more. lol. Then I saw a 80's ladies Schwinn comfort type bike that used to be my wife's...used to because it's missing the headtube. Hahaha. I wanted something with a euro bottom bracket and I liked the rearend better. Yeah I could buy an adapter BB cup for a american to euro but that's no fun. Plus I like welding and making sparks. So I started with this
P1010691.jpg

Sorry no pics of the hacking and welding. When my fabbin' mojo juices gets flowing, taking pictures is the last of my priorities. Now just to find a fork as I don't know what happened to the fork that came with the Columbia as it was a complete bike when I bought it. Haha.
The aftermath...I really wanted the seat stay tubes to blend into the ones from the cantilever frame but decided to just taper down the tubes and blend them right into the seat tube. It doesn't look that bad but my die grinder was dying out. So cleaning up the frame will be another day. I'm happy just to get the two frame together. Not to mention I also recovered an old Beringer seat from an old biker jacket I never wore. It turned out somewhat decent. I first covered it in some fake suede but it just looked like bunk so pulled it all off.
100_1075.jpg

100_1079.jpg

mind you I'm using fluxcore so I'm cleaning up splatter more then the time it's taking me to weld.
100_1080.jpg

100_1081.jpg

recovered seat. I still have to strip the paint off but just want to get it an idea of what it looked like
100_1076.jpg

100_1082.jpg

I'm not really sure where this build is heading cause it's mostly stuff I just had laying around. I was thinking of doing a fixie as I just picked up a new single speed last weekend. Different cranks cause these are kinda hooky and all the chainrings are welded all together. Yeah the rear doesn't flow with the curves of the front end but it's workable for the time being. I sold both of my project and needed something else for the time being.

I have that same frame but in a ladys modle. That fram is older than an 80's isn't it?????
P1010691.jpg

Latest posts

Back