Mini-Klunk

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waiting on payday for tires, handlebars and other things. Before I retired, there were 2 paydays per month! Now there's only one. With college just started I haven't gotten anything done but mostly looking at it. I did make up a template for the frame mod using a piece of thin rebar. I need 58" of 3/8" solid rod for each side. Tubing won't work as the bend would kink it. 3/8" solid rod probably wont bend as easily as the rebar, so I may mark them and go down to the welding shop, have them bent and welded on.
15n24y8.jpg

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to those bars going on.

I have a better idea yet again. I'll get shiny stainless 1" or larger tubing and won't need braces going down to the frame. With a shiny plate welded or brazed between the tubes it'll hold plenty of weight without braces.
Then I'll see what kind of caps can go on the ends of the pipes. Or I may taper the ends to look like exhaust pipes, with the inside portion painted red.
I think I'll leave the stainless metal shiny to match the forks.
Still haven't decided what color the frame will be. I'm leaning toward gloss black.
4m1hh.jpg

I have a better idea yet again. I'll get shiny stainless 1" or larger tubing and won't need braces going down to the frame. With a shiny plate welded or brazed between the tubes it'll hold plenty of weight without braces.
Then I'll see what kind of caps can go on the ends of the pipes. Or I may taper the ends to look like exhaust pipes, with the inside portion painted red.
I think I'll leave the stainless metal shiny to match the forks.
Still haven't decided what color the frame will be. I'm leaning toward gloss black.
4m1hh.jpg

Try and find some old boat bow rails. They come in 3/4" and 1" and have all kind of joints and stuff.

Looking over the frame once again, it isn't worth the trouble to weld up and fix the threads on the BB. It'll still be a crappy frame after all the time and trouble. So I'm looking for another frame that will fit my 20" wheels. A mini velo would be perfect.

Good decision. 14 days to go though. GTB!

I found a good frame, but it'll never get done by the deadline. So I'll enter the MBBO coming up and make it a muscle bike. If another frame comes along, I may do the Mini-Klunk then.

Latest posts

Back