Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When Dad bought a pedal car or something (I asked him, but he doesn’t remember) from one of Mom’s friends at her workplace several years ago, this bike was thrown in with it. It was the guy’s own bike he had as a child, but he had no use for it anymore.

I hadn’t really paid the bike any mind until about 2 years ago when I really got into bikes. It had been sitting on the floor in the back of our detached garage for years, and when I took a good long look at it, I realized it might be an obscure muscle bike from the 1970s, based on the ape hanger handlebars and the rotted-out banana seat.

So far, this bike has baffled me. It has a Toledo headbadge, Western Flyer handlebar grips, and a sticker on the seat tube that reads “Made in West Germany.” I’ve tried to figure out what exactly it is that I’ve got here, but I haven’t been able to find a photo of another bike like it. I think it would’ve had either 16” or 20” wheels, but since I don’t have any that small, I can’t say for sure. I did find a serial number underneath the bottom bracket, but it’s tough to read. Can anyone tell me what kind of bike this is?

DSC_0046.jpg
DSC_0044.jpg
DSC_0053.jpg
DSC_0050.jpg
DSC_0048.jpg
DSC_0052.jpg
20200131_203421.jpg
DSC_0054.jpg
DSC_0055.jpg
DSC_0056.jpg
DSC_0057.jpg
DSC_0058.jpg
DSC_0049.jpg
DSC_0047.jpg

Attachments

• 20200131_203421.jpg
    20200131_203421.jpg
    382.6 KB · Views: 145
  • DSC_0044.jpg
    DSC_0044.jpg
    964 KB · Views: 146
  • DSC_0047.jpg
    DSC_0047.jpg
    732.5 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC_0048.jpg
    DSC_0048.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 125
  • DSC_0049.jpg
    DSC_0049.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 132
  • DSC_0050.jpg
    DSC_0050.jpg
    880.9 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC_0052.jpg
    DSC_0052.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 148
  • DSC_0053.jpg
    DSC_0053.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 136
  • DSC_0054.jpg
    DSC_0054.jpg
    727.1 KB · Views: 145
  • DSC_0055.jpg
    DSC_0055.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 141
  • DSC_0056.jpg
    DSC_0056.jpg
    902.3 KB · Views: 124
  • DSC_0057.jpg
    DSC_0057.jpg
    479.1 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC_0058.jpg
    DSC_0058.jpg
    645.8 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC_0046.jpg
    DSC_0046.jpg
    897.1 KB · Views: 132
I'm surprised it doesn't have a lugged frame...most the European imports had them. Starting in the late 50s, due to a string of labor strikes, a lot of stores were supplementing there bicycle orders with Asian (mostly Japanese) and European imports. Once they got a foothold, they stuck around...usually low end. Eisenhower put some huge tariffs on most of the imported bikes...but, eventually they were struck down as illegal...and that was the beginning of the end for bicycles made in the USA.

Maybe one of the Euro guys ( @Starnger @SpikeFC etc) will have a clue on the specific manufacturer...that frame has a lot of details I haven't seen on a Euro import before (track ends, stem, and those welds).

I'm surprised it doesn't have a lugged frame...most the European imports had them. Starting in the late 50s, due to a string of labor strikes, a lot of stores were supplementing there bicycle orders with Asian (mostly Japanese) and European imports. Once they got a foothold, they stuck around...usually low end. Eisenhower put some huge tariffs on most of the imported bikes...but, eventually they were struck down as illegal...and that was the beginning of the end for bicycles made in the USA.

Maybe one of the Euro guys ( @Starnger @SpikeFC etc) will have a clue on the specific manufacturer...that frame has a lot of details I haven't seen on a Euro import before (track ends, stem, and those welds).
I just looked up photos of "lugged frames." I didn't know that's what they were called, but I recognized the element once I saw it. That's a neat bit of bicycle trivia! Thanks for sharing!

Is there a way to directly message users outside the main threads, or would that be considered inappropriate? I'm still learning how to use the forums.

When I used the @ sign in my post above, it notifies those members that were mentioned...such as...

@Bike from the Dead

You just have to type the @ sign, and then start typing the name you are trying to notify and a list will pop up to choose the one you are looking for. List too long, keep typing and it will narrow it down.

When I used the @ sign in my post above, it notifies those members that were mentioned...such as...

@Bike from the Dead

You just have to type the @ sign, and then start typing the name you are trying to notify and a list will pop up to choose the one you are looking for. List too long, keep typing and it will narrow it down.
Cool! Thanks @RustyGold !

Interesting cranks and BB. I have never seen it before.

What you got here is Heidemann Werke from early 1950's
Here is a bike like yours but a bit later model for sale in Germany. You can see original finishing.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/223838225180
Interesting, but I notice that the bike you posted a photo of has seat stays that are welded to the seat tube, whereas on mine the seat stays bolt to the seat clamp/tube. Do you know where I could find more photos and information of this particular brand, and similar German bikes? When I look up Heidemann Werke, I barely get any results.

When Dad bought a pedal car or something (I asked him, but he doesn’t remember) from one of Mom’s friends at her workplace several years ago, this bike was thrown in with it. It was the guy’s own bike he had as a child, but he had no use for it anymore.

I hadn’t really paid the bike any mind until about 2 years ago when I really got into bikes. It had been sitting on the floor in the back of our detached garage for years, and when I took a good long look at it, I realized it might be an obscure muscle bike from the 1970s, based on the ape hanger handlebars and the rotted-out banana seat.

So far, this bike has baffled me. It has a Toledo headbadge, Western Flyer handlebar grips, and a sticker on the seat tube that reads “Made in West Germany.” I’ve tried to figure out what exactly it is that I’ve got here, but I haven’t been able to find a photo of another bike like it. I think it would’ve had either 16” or 20” wheels, but since I don’t have any that small, I can’t say for sure. I did find a serial number underneath the bottom bracket, but it’s tough to read. Can anyone tell me what kind of bike this is?

View attachment 113252View attachment 113265 View attachment 113272View attachment 113270 View attachment 113268 View attachment 113271 View attachment 113264 View attachment 113273 View attachment 113274 View attachment 113275 View attachment 113276 View attachment 113277 View attachment 113269 View attachment 113267
How do the cranks and BB work?

I have never seen that crank/bb setup before. It looks like a hybrid between cottered and square taper. I first thought it was cottered like this, but there is no pin or holes for pins.
20191211_204834.jpg

Interesting, but I notice that the bike you posted a photo of has seat stays that are welded to the seat tube, whereas on mine the seat stays bolt to the seat clamp/tube. Do you know where I could find more photos and information of this particular brand, and similar German bikes? When I look up Heidemann Werke, I barely get any results.
Honestly saying - not really. My advice is try to google it in German. I did search for some info on it briefly, but could not find much more info either.
The reason for different seat stays is probably, as i mentioned before, that yours is slightly earlier then the one on the picture.

Latest posts

Back