Model?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20180814_203612.jpg
20180814_203637.jpg
Thanks again for the insight on value. Ive been looking up and down the web and for schwinns without the Excelsior tie they range from $200 to upwards of $1000. And none were all original as mine is. Ive had only one hiccup with the 46 as posted above and that is it was not equipped with front struts which Schwinn was so famous for post war. And there is no un-equipped model i can find. So its pre/post war first post war that was produced. Maybe 45 pre 46 catalog options?? Anyways im not worried about overall value since this is rideable and i plan on enjoying it for years to come. I want to preserve the paint any suggestions? I dont want to take anything away from its originality just preservation. Thanks again

Aaron

Last edited:
The literature doesn't completely reflect reality. Bottom line, there were 'unequipped' models pre-war, and 'unequipped' models post war...so, in '46...probably 'unequipped' models. Also, although Schwinn made...this isn't a Schwinn and doesn't have to completely fall into Schwinn product lines.

If you get prices from ebay, realize that asking prices aren't the same as selling prices. When looking for values, search 'completed' auctions to see at what prices they sold for, and at what prices they didn't sell. But, if you are planning on handing it down to your kid...'value' is irrelevant anyway.

Its looking great!
Jason

It may have come with truss rods, but were removed for some reason. However the 48 catalog doesn't show trussrods:
1948_schwinn_d97x.jpg

The handlebar stem looks like a later stem so maybe they swapped out the handlebars too. All the stems I've seen from that time frame are the solid Schwinn type. But nevertheless, a great bike. From a post here back in 2013:
46-48?? DX

http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/schwinn-bikes-post-pics-here.33856/page-18

Last edited:
I talked to the former owner and picked her brain a bit and from what she remembers(she rode the bike as a little girl in the early 50's) it was her uncles bike and was in the family for awhile before she rode it and she says the only thing ever changed on the bike was the tires! Nothing was taken off or changed and upon futher inquiries she thinks the bikes mid 40's. It was a custom order and she thinks she may have the reciept of purchase but obviously buried somewhere in a box deep in the garage. So time will tell. I just have one more question about preservation and that is what can i do to keep the paint as fresh and safe since i do plan on riding it. It rides like new and I got all the major dings,folds and bugers out of the fenders and will be hanging them today. Any info will be appreciated thanks again and i will be posting pics when she's all back together.

Aaron

A member here has replacement grips that match fairly well.

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/in...mponents-grips-and-seats.106976/#post-1086729

As for preserving the paint, I would use a car wax and be careful around the decals and trim. On 60's Schwinns, I've just given the bikes a cleaning with dish detergent and a soft scrubber, then a few coats of car wax brought out the original color without stripping any of the paint. Old Schwinn paint and chrome always seemed to be very good quality.

20180817_170719~2.jpg
20180817_170704~2.jpg
Here she is all cleaned greased and ready to ride! Took her for a 10 mile ride today wow wouldnt trade it for anything. Super smooth and rode like a dream(except for the metal seat lol) gunna feel that later! Thanks for all the info and tips gunna keep lookn for just the few things missing ie: rear jewel reflector, grips, tires, and redo the seat. Thanks again.
20180817_170704~2.jpg

Attachments

• 20180817_170736(0)~2.jpg
    20180817_170736(0)~2.jpg
    599.5 KB · Views: 122

Latest posts

Back