Mods on a Beast ?

Discussion in 'FAT BIKES' started by power_wagon, Sep 20, 2018.

1. power_wagon

power_wagon

Amongst my collection of a dozen or so bikes is a pair of Mongoose Beasts in black (bought 'em on a killer close out deal). I get a kick out of riding these buggers around but I'm getting the itch to start a few mods on one of them. Maybe this is a goofy idea but I'm thinking about a smaller width rim and tire for the front. What would be the best way to go about the front wheel thing ? Best maybe to just find another front fork and go from there ? Excuse my ignorance when it comes to bikes ... I guess I'll be a work in progress. I've mostly been restoring antique vehicles and tractors for 45+ years and have never really done much in the line of mod'g bikes. So it's high time to start I think. As you can see I've been lurking on this forum for quite a while trying to learn a thing or two about a thing or two.

RustyGold likes this.
  2. Endlesschain

Endlesschain

if you have or can get a cheap front wheel then the easier option would be to buy a longer or rear axle that is long enough for the wider fork and swap the standard axle with the longer one,you would have to find some sort of metal spacers to fill the gap between axle cone nut and the fork dropout but I would imagine a hardware store may have something to fit

3. LukeTheJoker

LukeTheJoker Moderator

4. power_wagon

power_wagon

Thx guys ...... now I've got to start making a plan. Hey, this probably sounds dopey but, I'm finding this new area of bike stuff pretty darn exciting ... :)

RustyGold and LukeTheJoker like this.
  5. HRJG

HRJG

You could also just mount a mountain bike rear wheel with 135mm spacing, with the cogs removed. Not the prettiest option, but definitely the easiest. You could easily make a cover for the empty freehub body, to improve the aesthetics.