Monark built JC Higgins?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this bike this summer, sorry for the delay, but it appears to be a Monark built JC Higgins "Super Deluxe." Anyone know what's up with that?
November082009056.jpg

Jc Higgins bicycles were sold by Sears. As a dept. store brand, they weren't manufactured by Sears, but rather contracted out, styled with Jc Higgins graphics and paintwork for Sears, and re-sold by Sears under the new name. Various companies made Jc Higgins bicycles at various times- Murray, Monark, and Westfield/Columbia are the manufacturers that come to mind immediately.

Legend has it there was a strike (probably at Murray) in 1956, so Sears went with some different co.'s to fill the demand. I've seen some made by Stelber, and Chain bike (Ross) from around then, I suspect the Monark built JCH's were from the same time. There have been a couple Monark built Elgins discovered too. -Adam

yeah, i gotta agree with everyone else here. prewar jchs were called elgins and primarily built by columbia/westfield and maybe a few oddbalss too, but postwar jchs were primarily murray with a few huffies (i.e. my 61' huffy built jch deluxe, with a wf ser#) and i guess monark as well. i learn something new here everyday. sweet bike by the way!

I have this exact model. Same colors and everything. Monark built. I need a tank exactly like this one. Does anyone have one in nice condition that they'd care to sell?

I have this exact model. Same colors and everything. Monark built. I need a tank exactly like this one. Does anyone have one in nice condition that they'd care to sell?

hahaha Davo! on an archaeological dig? This thread was started in 2010! Nice find! haha :rofl:

Yeah, I bumped into this when searching for something else. I really like this style of girls Higgins bikes. The fact that so many companies built these bikes for Sears, made my trial and error tank purchases an expensive proposition. But this time I know for sure what I need, and now I'm practically an expert on what NOT to buy.

Picked this up last Saturday. Don't know that I'll do much except give the chrome an OA bath, take some rubbing compound to the paint, find a tank, and clean and grease the bearings.
20190926_214815.jpg

I picked up one of these just last week.

index.php

Kingfish

Could you send a close up picture of the details of the tank to me, or just post them here?

Thanks, Ed

Thanks,
The pictures are really appreciated.
Now to see if I can get some graphics made.

Ed

Hi Ed-
Turns out I just saw this thread AFTER I replied to your PM (late). Appears that you now have the information that I sent in that message.

P.S. still love the color combo on this bike SOoooooooooooooo 50's!

P.P.S.S. Sorry for calling you Mark in that PM

Mark is a lot nicer than some other names that I've been called

See, this is why these ancient posts are still here, relevant 9 years later! I'll add to my original comment that Murray was building their new TN factory in '56, and gearing up for the new Flightliner bikes, no strike. And the '56 bikes w/3 pc cranks were imported by Stelber. -Adam

Latest posts

Back