Mongoose Beast CL Find!!

Discussion in 'FRESH FINDS' started by jayblok, Apr 29, 2017.

1. jayblok

jayblok

Found a Beast for $20 bucks! The only thing that was wrong with it was that it was missing the nut on the non drive side of the bottom bracket.I was fearing that the threads were stripped but they are not,it was just missing the nut and I put another one on it.
    This frame feels so awkward when I get on it,I plan on stretching the frame and making it a crank forward type of frame by moving the bottom bracket up more to the front of the frame.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Compared side to side to my Occ chopper w/mongoose beast Wheelset.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

LukeTheJoker, horsefarmer and Wildcat like this.
  2. Wildcat

Wildcat

Nice score!

I had to get a laid back seat post and bigger handlebars to get mine halfway comfortable. Cutting up and welding the frame is beyond my abilities, but that would be the way to go.

beast 002.JPG

3. LukeTheJoker

LukeTheJoker Moderator

Good price!
    Careful moving the bottom bracket forward, there is not much room for toe clearance as it is with those big tires, stretching the rear or a layback post might be another solution as Wildcat suggested.

4. power_wagon

power_wagon

That is an excellent looking Beast ! That is the look I'm going to go for on mine.

Wildcat likes this.
  5. Wildcat

Wildcat

Thanks!
    The other mod I did was the crank set off a cheap old mountain bike. I needed a better gear ratio because of the weight and so I used the center chain wheel, 32 instead of the stock 36.

horsefarmer likes this.
  6. power_wagon

power_wagon

I was wondering about that because I noticed you had something different on there.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    Wildcat likes this.
  7. Wildcat

Wildcat

When I changed out the cranks, I checked the bearings. The original were already shot. After less than 50 miles. The threads in the frame for the bearing cups were also crappy, so I had to be very careful putting it back together with some good bearings. In fact, all the bearings on my beast were cheap and needed replacing.