Mongoose Beast Fat Bike build and ideas

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wildcat said:
I added 2 links for the 22, but the brake brace limits the rearward adjustment of the axle in dropouts, so just add just one link. If I go with a 20 tooth sprocket, I'll have to mod the brake arm.
Move the clamp over to the seat stay, problem solved. :wink:

Dunno brother, I bought them off of Double Nickel, I think they were on his Hutch at one time. They are super lightweight anodized aluminum.
They're probably the highest quality thing on bike! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Drop DN a PM, I'm sure he' can help you out.

Cheers,
Dr.T

Hammond Eggz said:
Dr. Tankenstein said:
I added a set of red BMX bars because I wanted a more upright riding position.
DSCF3784_zpsc36c96ea.jpg

Cheers,
Dr, T

Dr. T - what brand are those BMX bars? They look like exactly what I'm looking for to raise the bar height, and seem to be a perfect colour match.

We may be one step closer to seeing a Pixie Beast build!!! :shock:

I'm waiting for a 20 tooth sprocket that's on order, so the rear hub tear down will have to wait. I'm riding slow and easy with a 22 sprocket. I added a rusty set of Dyno bars and a newer seat. It also needs a laid back seat post, but that's waiting on money. I'm also thinking of some kind of monster rack to add. I'm only 3 miles from work, so I'll ride this.

2f0bvpj.jpg

Smoopy's said:
yoothgeye said:
I'm still very happy with my purchase, like I sad before it arrived, I've bought other Walmart bikes before, I knew what I was getting into.

so let me ge this straight and no dis-respect, I'm just trying to comprehend. You bought a bike brand new in the box, only to find out you had to basically re-build the entire drivetrain, yet because of what it is..you have no problem with that..To me, that sounds like someone going out and buying a brand new car, only to have the tranmission go out as soon as you pull out of the lot; but because the car has a rockin' Bose system inside, you're cool with the tranny blowing out..makes no sense to me; but hey, whatdaya gonna do... :roll:
Here's the thing you seem to be missing and I don't think most think about this when you buy that expensive bike at the bike shop. They do just what is being done to all the drive train on these cheap Walmart bikes. They have to or they would go out of business, besides most of these bike would never get serviced and still work for a long time. Most never get used allot because the people that buy them just bought them to please their wants. Also I think if you are a true Rat Rod Bike guy you just can't leave anything well enough alone.

It's the nature of the beast being a Rat Rode Biker... (pun intended)

Smoopy's said:
yoothgeye said:
I'm still very happy with my purchase, like I sad before it arrived, I've bought other Walmart bikes before, I knew what I was getting into.

so let me ge this straight and no dis-respect, I'm just trying to comprehend. You bought a bike brand new in the box, only to find out you had to basically re-build the entire drivetrain, yet because of what it is..you have no problem with that..To me, that sounds like someone going out and buying a brand new car, only to have the tranmission go out as soon as you pull out of the lot; but because the car has a rockin' Bose system inside, you're cool with the tranny blowing out..makes no sense to me; but hey, whatdaya gonna do... :roll:

Part of the fun to most of us is upgrading and tinkering...A brand new high dollar bike wouldn't do a thing for me...
And besides that lots of guys who buy expensive bikes do a lot of upgrades as well.....

It's like getting a new car that needs a little work for half the price of a new car needing no work. You still come out way ahead with the cheaper one, as long as you know how to do the work and do it. There was no way I could afford a 700 dollar fatbike, but for 200 bucks, a couple hours work and 25 cents worth of grease, I'm there!

gonna call this one finished. Changed the tires, cranks, stem, bars, seat post, seat & pedals.

Quite the ripper now.

IMAG0194_zps10b4c309.jpg

rough guess right now is a respectable 40#. Steel stem & steel bars - 400m seat post isn't exactly light, the cranks are remarkably lighter though. The stock cranks are frighteningly heavy.

kbollox,
That looks tough!

What brand/model crank is that? I noticed mine are offset to clear the frame.

I'm going cosmetic and cheap for my initial 'upgrades'. I'll look to lighten mine up down the road, ya know?

Cheers,
Dr. T

Smoopy's said:
yoothgeye said:

Don't know about you, but I'm old enough to remember lawn mower shops selling second hand nearly new domestic built bikes, after they fixed the exact same problems as found on your typical current Chinese dept. store bikes. I check and repack bearings on any bike that becomes mine anyway, new or old, brand dealership or trash pile, so for 200 clams and a little wrenching I would do anyway, I have a really cool toy. :|

I'd kinda like to see what Gaskill would do with these bits. 8)

I've been trying to convince my Uncle to stretch one, but he keeps resisting.

Maybe we should all just pitch in and have one sent to his house. :lol:

Yall are having so much fun with them in their stock state it would be a shame
to change one where everybody would be envious. :wink:

kbollox said:
gonna call this one finished. Changed the tires, cranks, stem, bars, seat post, seat & pedals.

Quite the ripper now.

IMAG0194_zps10b4c309.jpg

What cranks did you use? Since the threads are on the bottom bracket did you use the stock nuts from the mongoose crank to tighten?

Uncle Stretch said:

All you need to do is make a top and down tube. :idea:

Uncle Stretch said:
Hey I already plan on changing one so you don't have to worry about me being envious. :lol: :lol: :p :mrgreen:

Ditched stickers, chain guard and cheesy main reflectors, added grease, lights, Dupli-color upholstery black to the saddle, air to the tires. No new money or parts, done as it needs to be, unless something breaks. :mrgreen:

GEDC0022x_zpsd9205a2b.jpg

Deorman, how's the fit for you?

Smoopy, if I bought an expensive bike at a shop I'd still be curious and check the bearings probably add even more grease too. I didn't buy this to pull it from the box and attack my local mountain bike trail, I bought a project. I don't think of this as a new car, this is used car territory.

With the stem at the line, and the post close to an inch above it :roll: :lol: , pretty good. If the bars were lower or pulled back, I'd need a long throw stem or a bent seat post. I haven't ridden it more than a mile yet though. :|

Latest posts

Back