MONGOOSE KOS KRUISER BUILD (6/06 - FINISHED)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: MONGOOSE KOS KRUISER BUILD (5/28)

I posted the other day about me cracking my seat tube by getting carried away with a rubber mallet.

Here's a shot of the cracked seat tube... :cry:

DSC_0010-1.jpg

Today I took the frame to a local welding shop and had the crack repaired. I asked why they didn't grind the weld down more and the guy said he didn't want to mess up the chrome any more than he had to. They were pretty much clueless about vintage bikes and it took all I had just to keep them from tossing the thing around on their metal tables. :x

It's not the prettiest job in the world, but hopefully it won't crack again and maybe the seat post clamp will hide it from view. I'm thinking I could take a dremel tool to it and smooth it out a bit more.

DSC_0012-1.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

Rat Rod said:
It's not the prettiest job in the world, but hopefully it won't crack again and maybe the seat post clamp will hide it from view. I'm thinking I could take a dremel tool to it and smooth it out a bit more.

anybody who faults you for that is paying way too much attention to somebody else's bike. it'll look just fine with the clamp :D

Bendix said:
anybody who faults you for that is paying way too much attention to somebody else's bike. it'll look just fine with the clamp :D

You hit the nail on the head there....I'm fairly picky about my stuff, but since I plan to ride this bike and have fun on it...it'll work for me. :wink:

Re: MONGOOSE KOS KRUISER BUILD (6/04)

cant see it from my house.

haha jk.

looks great!

I must have missed your posting, where you cracked the seat tube.

The weld/repair is actually quite good!!!
you can clean that up nice with a small file....carefully!!!!!
don't forget to clean the weld on the inside of the seat tube,
it will scratch and mutilate a nice seat post if it is burred.

and I would Run a nice wide, strong seat clamp.
Best, would be a Tuf neck....as it's a pretty wide clamp.

and...maybe run the seat clamp so it is half on the welded area, and half on the slotted area.

If you run your clamp too low...your looking for trouble!!!

keep us posted Steve...

kev.

Just about done with the build now.

The things I will probably trade out when money permits will be a better seat post, a red 39-41T chainring and some red 9/16 rat trap pedals.

Let me know what yall think of the current configuration...

- 1981 Mongoose KOS Kruiser F/F
- Repop Decal Set
- Tuff Neck Stem
- Tioga Headset
- Suntour Headlock
- Skull Skates Bars
- Repop Mongoose Grips
- Pro Class Wheels
- SR Sealed Hubs
- Shimano Freewheel
- Dia Comp Brakes and Lever
- Dia Comp MX Seat Post Clamp
- Sugino Mighty 3 Piece Cranks
- Suntour Bear Trap Pedals
- Repop BMX Saddle
- Kenda Redwall Cruiser Tires

Click on the images below to see the larger versions.

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

One thing I learned about during this build is that it's not easy finding red anodized parts that match.

Since this isn't a show bike and mainly a rider I'm not too concerned if some are a bit faded.

It was fun collecting the parts and putting it together little by little.

Now I can relive the glory days without looking like a bear on a bike at the circus. :lol:

came together really really nicely!

Looks good except for that big O weld under the seat post calmp :lol: :lol: :lol: , just kiddin man steller build, now we need to see some wheelie pictures :D

Very Cool. I think the reds are okay. If they bug you then change them. A bike is never done.

Really like it. So I'm a bit slow when it comes to BMX bikes, please "bear" with me. Are large BMX frames rare? It's really cool to see one, and even makes me think about maybe wanting one so I can ride at the BMX track near work. My biking interest sorta straddled BMX but I rode my muscle bikes and even my Raleigh 10 speed in the woods all the time.

Rat Rod said:
Now I can relive the glory days without looking like a bear on a bike at the circus. :lol:

This bear thing is really tickling me. It's all KOTA's fault.

26 BMX bikes are fairly rare these days. There was a Cruiser class back in the day for the older/larger riders.

Be prepared for a seriously light wallet if you're considering a 26" old school BMX build.

Fortunately for me I had most of the parts already with the exception of the frame and fork....which were not cheap.

wow!!! very nice work Steve!!!!
I am impressed!!!
==========================
The Kenda red walls actually , much to my surprise, look great!!!

The only change I would make, is I would Run a Kashimax MX...or a Kashimax Aero saddle.and get some Stainless Kos Bars.

and PLEASE..PLEASE...PLEASE...drop the stem all the way down, until it hits the headset!!!
First reason...Strength!!...your asking for problems with it up that high.

also.....looks...that looks dumb ( was that my inside voice talking :D :D :D :D )
=======================================================================

Steve.....hats off my good friend!!!
You built a beautiful KOS Kruiser.
8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Kev.

Latest posts

Back