No progress for a while. Still waiting on the seat. The frame has been waiting on sand blasting, which has been waiting for me to finish the fab on my other bike. I'll be taking them both to the blast cabinet soon. Hopefully this weekend. Then I have to set up a paint booth in my garage, get some heaters to bring it up to 70 degrees, then prep and spray.
Sand blasting wasn't working (bad blaster). So I had to revert to aircraft stripper. This is following the second coat. You're seeing patches of bare metal, red primer, and some silver paint. All the green seems to be off.
I'm almost out of stripper. (The other bike took a TON!) Do I have to get the whole frame down to totally bare metal, or will the etch primer work through old primer, as long as it's smooth?
I'm trying to avoid buying another can of stripper. But I will if I have to. This process is just taking forever!!
like this build man, and I know what you mean by not getting any progress done I finely got my fork in the mail but then now I have to get new bearings for my BMX alloy wheel set, and the 1965 Sting Ray dead in the water until I can completely rebuild the seat/recover it sooo much more work for me to do
Was it their aircraft stripper? I know they make a couple types. Aircraft paint is way more chemical resistant then automotive paint so the aircraft stripper formula is "hotter". "Opening up" the paint first with 80 grit helps alot. Apply a medium coat. Not to thick it needs to breath. Once the paint has bubbled up, scrubing the frame with a medium coarse wire brush removes the lose paint. Very important to do this in intervals. Once stripper is contaminated with paint its way less effective. Water kills/ neutralizes stripper. Ambient temp plays a big role also. To hot and the solvents evaporate before they can work under the paint. To cold and they aren't hot enough to penetrate the paint. 65* in direct sun to 105 in the shade is good. Hope this helps.
I tried yet another coat of the aircraft stripper. The Schwinn primer laughed it off. Didn't bubble or anything. So, I broke out my electric orbital sander and spent an hour or two sanding. Next... bondo, then primer. I've got to finish the mock build on my other bike, then build the paint booth.