Monster-Ray

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the way your build is coming along CRASH!!!! That rear wheels looks great with the Jerald.
Smoop's bike remains one of my favorite muscle bike builds ever.

love this build man, I just bought a 1971 Fast Back Sting Ray frame this is some good inspiration for me :D

got a good deal to 55.00 bucks and free shipping :mrgreen:

Great start! Your rear fender makes me realize that my rear fender doesn't have a brace. I wonder if it's worth adding just to get the look? It would be srewed in, not rivited in. but... hmmmm

I say keep the brace off. It might get a bit busy with that AND a sissy bar.

Copy on all of that. I am getting the paint for both bikes from an automotive paint store that will take the colors I choose and put them in a rattle can for about $15. However, that's with a code. For the Renegade I'm choosing my own colors from their books, so relatively cheap. They've got some greens that are close, but if I want them to match it exact it will cost me like $30 per can. :shock: But if I have a PPG code number, I'm set for the cheaper price.

I'm waiting to get my seat. Once I have that I'll take the seat in and match it per the seat.

CRASH said:
Here's the newly laced "other" front rim. After much cleaning, the flaws are still there, but it still looks good. I tensioned it, but won't be able to true it till tomorrow. I'm crossing my fingers it isn't flat-spotted like the other. :?

s5bl.jpg

I need to learn how to lace a wheel. I have some ideas for mine that involves lacing a back wheel.

CRASH said:
Copy on all of that. I am getting the paint for both bikes from an automotive paint store that will take the colors I choose and put them in a rattle can for about $15. However, that's with a code.

That's a great idea! I'm going to look into getting a rattle can made up of the yellow on a 1970 BOSS 302 Mustang.

I don't remember if I mentioned it, but I was a bike mechanic in my teens/early 20's before I joined the service. I still have some tools. A spoke wrench was one of them. I bought an old truing stand from an RRB member last year for $45, and that's the real key. You can mock up a stand with an old fork and an arm, but a real stand is almost needed. Plus a dishing tool, and a good spoke guy who can talk you through measuring the hubs and rims so he can come up with the custom length.

It's gotten to the point that no build in my future won't have brand new spokes on it. It really makes the restoration in my opinion.

I've got another big paper this weekend, but I wanted to spend a little time with the bike. So... I started some mocking to see what issues would come up. I threw on the rear fender, brakes, and wheel, and....

6fsg.jpg

3h57.jpg

I new the diameter of the new rim was smaller, but I thought (hoped) the vertical adjustment slots would be able to reach at the lowest point. Well, not even close.

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as longer cantilever brakes that would cover this distance? Or do I have to do some weird fabrication? :?

Second dilemma. While I was cranking, a box came in with my seats. Well, the green is...

m0t8.jpg

This is a NOS Persons. It didn't like quite as emerald in the picture. But next to the Campus Green... I might as well be standing next to Dorothy asking for some courage. This thing is EMERALD! Plan 'F' is that I'm sending it back to the seller and I'm going to send the messed up blue seat from the Renegade 5 (It's NOS seat came in today... it looks great!) to Pete's Seats to recover it with the right color. I may even buy his Campus Green paint.

Moving on... I threw the front end together to see how it looks. Although the frame is small, the bars are tall and with the 18" post I have for it up, and the tall sissy, I think my tallness (6'4") will be able to ride it fine. I just need to figure out how to stop it. :lol:

f5t3.jpg

It's hard to tell from the pic since it's sitting at an angle on the stand, but I put it on the deck after I took the shot, and the skinny larger front and the fat smaller rear really give it the look I was hoping to achieve. A real Muscle Bike look to it.

So... now to figure out that brake...

If you can Measure the distance from the Mounting hole for the Canti. Brake to the Side of your Rim , I may Have a
Larger Schwinn Canti.Brake that will work for you ?

p.s. Sorry the Seat didn't work for you .but i'll be Glad to have it Back :)

Regards,...Rafael

Got the new brake set up. I had to swap the long mounting bolt with the short one from original brake. Fits fine now.

eaas.jpg

Started some mocking of the sissy/seat. The first way I was going to mount the bolts interfered with the chain.

6q1i.jpg

Swapped the bolt, but couldn't get it tight since I can't get a screwdriver inside. So I had to dismount the wheel to tighten the bolts, then re-install. That's going to be a pain in the rear when I want to adjust the seat. My other option is to tap that hole and tighten a very short bolt directly into the frame. But I'm concerned that all the weight of my butt will strip those tapped threads since there will only be a few. So, I think I'll stick to what I have right now.

r8qn.jpg

Here's how it looks right now. I threw the old chain on. It sounds like crap in 5th gear. I'm hoping its just the old chain, but I might have some derailleur alignment issues.
That's the seat I'm going to use, but I'm sending it off this week to have it recovered. Next I'm going to get the housing and cables and get the brakes and derailleur set up and make sure they're all good to go.

Question: Original cables we gray, I believe. If I can get gray, should I? Or should I go with white? I may not have a choice, but I can't decide if I have the option.

s4hl.jpg

CRASH said:
That looks made to order CRASH! Right in the middle of the adjustment slots! 8)

Bike is looking great, I would be tempted by the white cables to tie in with the white writing on the chainguard and frame myself...

Luke.

CRASH said:
Paint is on the way. Pan is on the way to get re-covered. Hopefully I have it back in time. Waiting on the white housing for final mock up and test. Hopefully by this weekend.
Paint from Pete at hyper formance? Let me know what ya think. I've been thinking about a campus green ray. Got a couple more frames need paint and assembly.

Yes. I didn't get the full paint kit. I have primer, and I can get aluminum metallic for cheaper. I'm sure his is 100% correct, but still, this is a custom. I already shelled out way too much for 2 cans of the paint and the re-cover. If my wife finds out... well, you won't see any more updates because I'll be deceased.

I'll let you know what I think. But since I have no painting experience, I may not be able to offer deep insight.

CRASH said:
Yes. I didn't get the full paint kit. I have primer, and I can get aluminum metallic for cheaper. I'm sure his is 100% correct, but still, this is a custom. I already shelled out way too much for 2 cans of the paint and the re-cover. If my wife finds out... well, you won't see any more updates because I'll be deceased.

Alright brother it's been 17 days! Do we have too send out a APB for the Mrs. Crash? Wassup wit dis bike?

Tonight I'm (hopefully) getting a major step done on my other bike. The next step for both bikes after that is to cart them off to sand blasting. Then I start on the "boddy work", then primer, then paint. The other bike has more work, so this one is just waiting.

Latest posts

Back