Monster-Ray

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did I tell you I got the chain guard chromed? Well, I did. Sanded the part that's getting paint so the etch will dig in. Tomorrow will be filler and primer... after I get the booth build.

I had an epiphany! I was going to build the booth where my "shop" is in the 3rd car stall in my garage, but wasn't sure how I was going to do it. Tonight while working I realized I could use our storage rack where my wife parks. From the ceiling I build a wooden frame above where the van sits where we put stuff. I could staple the plastic all around and above, put down a drop cloth, and BAM! I've got booth! That will happen in the morning.
Question: Whats the best "thing" to use to hang parts from to paint? String? Coat hangers? Chicken wire? Something else?

I use coat hangers, it can be bent and holds its shape better so you have a better chance of getting parts exactly where you want them. Love the paint booth idea! Here is my Australian Hills Hoist paint booth:

11560707364_5b17b401dc_z.jpg

Only works in summer though... ;)

Luke.

Crash I use a dewalt 10,000 rpm hand held with the wire wheel and that rips paint right off . Other then that I use the media blaster around the corner when I have extra cash laying around .

I use coat hangers, it can be bent and holds its shape better so you have a better chance of getting parts exactly where you want them. Love the paint booth idea! Here is my Australian Hills Hoist paint booth:

11560707364_5b17b401dc_z.jpg

Only works in summer though... ;)

Luke.

Hey Luke,
Doesn't your air hose get wrapped around the post and your clothesline spins around? :p

My first try at filler didn't work so well. And when I put the primer on, it was painfully apparent how bad I had done. It's important because where I had spread the frame there were dents. And where I had removed the cable guides there were indents in the frame. So I have to get this right.
After my first coat of build primer I ran out. So I took a moment to bring out the frame and try again. My second attempt went a lot better, as you can hopefully see. The key was in how I was sanding. I went a lot softer the second time, and used the paper wrapped around the tube to make the shape.

axpp.jpg

So threw the frame back in the booth and shot two more coats of build primer. It's going to set overnight. Tomorrow... paint.

j8te.jpg

They aren't too bad. After I spray, I open up all the garage doors and turn on my hurricane fan to blow out the fumes. But I can only do it for a few minutes because I don't want to cool down the booth too much to help speed the curing.

Looking real good Crash! If the fumes get bad inside of your booth, they sell paint respirators at Harbor Freight pretty darn cheap.

Nito

Awesome idea on the booth btw. You'll see a big difference in the outcome. Your body work looked pretty good for a first timer also.

Nito

Shot the silver, went on fine. Shot 2 coats of the green and noticed some fish eyes forming. (I had ask a friend what they were) I guess the only way to fix them is to let it dry for a day, lightly sand down the fish eyes, and reshoot over them.

So... they puts me further back. Plus the problems with my other build... I may not make it.

Well FML. If it's not one thing it's another. I was polishing parts on my buffing wheel. I was working the Schwinn double clamp that the muscle bikes with the stick shifters need. Well, it caught the edge and flew. I searched for an hour... never found it. I'll have to hunt another one down, but unless it jumps out at me in the morning, I won't have that clamp on the build. ugh

[quote00rr, post: 774501, member: 17705"]Looking real good Crash! If the fumes get bad inside of your booth, they sell paint respirators at Harbor Freight pretty darn cheap.

Nito[/quote]
Use a respirator!
Make sure to give the frame and paint time to warm up, I kept them inside when I lived in the frozen north tundra.

All finished, for the most part. I have a couple little issues to deal with, like lowering the seat. lol It was guess work, and I went way to high with it. But I have to take the rear wheel off to bring it down. I'll let the paint cure for a week or two, then tackle the small issues I have, then enjoy it!

ifql.jpg

srnm.jpg

gouo.jpg

hm38.jpg

n1kd.jpg

w177.jpg

zgu7.jpg

7qz3.jpg

Beautiful classic look!
BRAVO!

Latest posts

Back