MONTERATT - Fini

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ratting at is most basic...lovin' it.
Mounting the rusty fenders from the old Cranbrook to the Murray.
The fork isn't really accurate for the time period I'm shooting for, but it's going to work out.
Front fender had a hanger , but no hole on fork stem to hang it from...so, low effort drill and tap.
2316frenderscrew.jpg

Rear fender had no bracket so I fabbed one up...
2316frenderbracket.jpg

And here's how I decided to notch out the back of that no name tank to fit...quick, crude and dirty. If it's underneath, then it's "outta sight"
2316ModTank.jpg

That's a cool design, might look for one.

Any plans to add truss rods to the front end?

Oh yeah...probably use some 3/8" brake line, rust it up and figure out which bend to use. The Murrays from the era had that wicked bend in the front, attached to the bottom of the fork tube....kindof looked like a front rack...or, take them up to the top of the fork, not sure.
Still have to create attachment points for the end of the fender stays, they're all broken off...just placed in there for the pic.

check Ebay Falstaff...I've been having some pretty good luck finding parts for the build that are from the time period , but about 1/4 the price of, lets say, a real sharp Astro Flite rear rack...which I would probably like but can't reach that far down in the pockets., I like to rework generic stuff.... get a kick out of that..
hey... especially if you're still thinking of building a 'no name' Murray, the parts are out there.
:happy:

2/3/'16
One bike I don't mind leaving outside...it looks better every day even if I do nothing to it....:)

Here's where we're at as of today.....
View attachment 45045
franco
Maybe a dash of OJ's favorite go-to the Rustoleum textured paint and some rubbing on the hubs / flanges and crankset to blend them in with your other rust-ified parts? Otherwise, this thing looks like it sat outside for 50 yrs....and then somebody cleaned it up a bit.

Vintage Clean at it's finest! Vive la Franco!

Oh yeah...probably use some 3/8" brake line, rust it up and figure out which bend to use. The Murrays from the era had that wicked bend in the front, attached to the bottom of the fork tube....kindof looked like a front rack...or, take them up to the top of the fork, not sure.
Still have to create attachment points for the end of the fender stays, they're all broken off...just placed in there for the pic.

check Ebay Falstaff...I've been having some pretty good luck finding parts for the build that are from the time period , but about 1/4 the price of, lets say, a real sharp Astro Flite rear rack...which I would probably like but can't reach that far down in the pockets., I like to rework generic stuff.... get a kick out of that..
hey... especially if you're still thinking of building a 'no name' Murray, the parts are out there.
I have the front rack thing from a meteor flite, not sure if it's for a 24" or 26" wheel. I can see how it fits on a Westport.

I've been looking for parts on the bay, I'm still designing an unknown. Thinking something pre 60's with a big tank.

Maybe a dash of OJ's favorite go-to the Rustoleum textured paint and some rubbing on the hubs / flanges and crankset to blend them in with your other rust-ified parts? Otherwise, this thing looks like it sat outside for 50 yrs....and then somebody cleaned it up a bit.

Vintage Clean at it's finest! Vive la Franco!

OJ special textured is in the back pocket...savin' that for the final touches

NICE RACK. As in aged to perfection. :happy:

So here's that old space age type rear rack I got on aution on E_bay. Great Seller, fast, wrapped well, and boy...was it ever RED.
RackNew.jpg

But I love the look and the fit is good, with just a few mods needed. Since we're going back in time...I dove right in with the RUSTIFICATION. This time..I used special sauce..my quick rust 1 day formula. I've also found after I spritz it with the sauce, I salt it with table salt, just like you're salting an ear of corn....then while still wet, I mist it with Satin Black, Maroon, Red, and what I now call O.J's. Quick Texture..:bigsmile:
Here's the rack transition at the end of the very same day that I received it.
I'm leavin' it...because usually I hit the sweet spot and then go "Well, maybe if I just do a little more of this.."...and then guess what happens? A blotchy mess. yep.
Everything just laid in for now, I still have to add a few brackets and attachment points here and there....Check it out.
I'll be back...
Franco
RackAged_1.jpg

RackAged_2.jpg

Great job with the paint and rust! That rack and rear fender look like they have been on that bike forever.. :thumbsup:

Is there a recipe for the special sauce? My next rat project is an old Texas Ranger that is way too shiny.
save your old nasty rusty vinegar that you used to soak some parts in..add peroxide twice as much as vinegar...add 'kosher' salt...and the rest is above..salt and mist with paint when it's wet. Then add a bit of odd job's paint rustification method....Ive got it down now, but it took a whole lot of experimentation to get it workin' right

Did you scuff the paint up before slapping on the sauce?

As a New Englander, I find a procedure for intentional rust hilarious.

As a former resident of both Maine and Nantucket Island, Mass. for 30 years, I understand totally Duchess. Living in New England...and also (Pennsylvania) was the last time I bought Bondo in Gallon cans.

Franco, magnifico! That rack def looks like it was original equipment. You have achieved
Psi Valva Kappa f-Rat-ternity status.
Very....rust-ified indeed! :113:

Franco, magnifico! That rack def looks like it was original equipment. You have achieved
Psi Valva Kappa f-Rat-ternity status.
Very....rust-ified indeed! :113:

Wow O.J.....quite a compliment coming from the Rustmeister. Dammm, I always wanted to be in a sorority..:bigsmile:
I can't count the times I've perused your builds and thought "I've got to try it"....to think I may be a Jr. Rustmaster ... humbling.

oxy.jpg

Got a chance today to do a little more on the Monteratt. Been busy fixin' up regular bikes for reg'lar people..:happy:
I got this comfy old rubber top Mesinger type seat from an old Roadmaster which was also the donor for the front tire...added a little xtra padding....
SeatAssembly-1.jpg

Today, had do dream up a few fids here and there...the ends of the fender stays were just chopped off short...so I had to add a little steel extension..measure each side for where they connect to keep the fender centered crimped them around and welded them on...
stayend_1and2.jpg

Latest posts

Back