Montreal's fastest Rat Rod Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Montreal is an island and there is an old boulevard that goes North to South to both shores. Every year someone organizes a time trial that covers the entire 10 km distance...in traffic. I learned about the race last Monday so no time to prepare whatsoever, not like I would anyways, and this morning I just got on my 1958 Raleigh Sports and did it. My objective was 30 minutes since there was no way this 46 year old casual cyclist could beat the standing record of 16 minutes 10 second held by a 20 something who rides the City for a living.

DSCN2582.jpg

Well me and the old girl pulled it off in 29 minutes and 57 seconds. As you can see I was wearing the proper colors for the occasion. I had to stop and wait at 4 lights during the run. I haven't lived so intensely in a long time for such a short time. I'll be debating for the next year if I'll try it again.

IMG_0518.jpg

Thanks guys. My time would have been better with a derailleur equipped road bike. The Raleigh ran out of gear. I was pedaling so fast at some point that the slack in the chain caused it to come off the gears because of the centrifugal force! I had to bring down the RPMs to keep the chain on the gear teeth. I was revving for nothing at that point anyways.

Great fun! Great time too.
I love the bike, but take the headlight and the stand of next year and shave, what? .5 seconds off the final time! :D :D

Back