MOSER LEADER "SC"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

My "Colnago" badged Moser "Leader". Photos from pre-virus; I have finished the build but haven't taken new photos with the crappy phone camera. Does anyone know specifically what version of Leader this is? I have yet to see that BB shell on another one. Year is unknown also, assuming late '80s. It's hard to see, but the fork crown has the "51.151" designation, and the brake bridge has the stylized "arrow". I have seen that same "arrow" cut out and the "FM" cut out on the BB shells of other Leader models. Uses Oria "ribbed tubing on top and down tubes. I believe Silva BB shell. If anyone has any ideas as to what variant please educate me, thanks.

Take care,
Jesper

Mind blown by that cool paint job!
Yeah, it is a cool paint job. Problem; it's on the wrong frame. I got it this way from Italy; not sure if it was due to a race team sponsorship (common to rebadge race bikes in Europe), or done just on a whim. There is no Colnago frame that looks like a Leader, especially with the extended seat tube having no binder/clamp built in; it takes a "quill" style post, like early stems. Just about every color was used, and heavy coats. The fork marking is nearly indiscernible, and the Oria shaped tubing is hard to see also. It is an outstanding ride and has gone through a few component changes with me. I don't have any new complete build photos; it's at my other house and I'm not travelling up to New England for awhile!
It is a very good ride, light and nimble. It tests people's knowledge; if they say nice Colnago, I know they are not familiar with either marque.

So it's just badged as a Colnago? Because that does not look like one of their frames

So it's just badged as a Colnago? Because that does not look like one of their frames
It is a Moser all the way. Painted by someone before he acquired it; the honest seller did not try to "pull a fast one" on me, but I know my Colnagos as I have a few from the mid '70s through to late '90s. It is a quality paint job, except for some of the lettering/logos were airbrushed/sprayed with a stencil (if used) and not fully contacting the tubing, thus a slight misty overspray; not too noticeable though. It does turn a head or two, but as a solo rider it's been seen more on forums than on the roads/trails that I regularly travel. I'll try to get a photo posted of its present build when I can travel again. Hospital is keeping me from travelling, I would have to go into automatic 2 week quarantine if I leave my area.

I have determined this to be an "SC" frame, 3rd generation '88-'90. Made with Oria's "GM00" tubing designed by the Moser company and supposedly made by Vetta for Moser. I have an earlier ('85) lugged Moser frame, but I am not aware if it was also made by Vetta since it does not resemble my Vetta from the early 70s. If I had known what "SC" stood for I would have nailed the identification upon first sight. It means "senza congiunzioni" (without conjunctions; no lugs). Thank you Leonardo!

Just when I thought I could retrieve it, the outbreak gained momentum again and I can't travel due to healthcare work. There were roadblocks on the I-95 interstate highway!
Please continue to stay safe out there!

Last edited:
As you said not a Colnago. Nothing about this frame is Colnago, to me. Why would anyone do this to a Moser? Both top bikes but why would anyone try to pass off one top bike as another top bike? Perhaps Colnago is more of a boutique bike and has a cult following? The Chinese seem to have recently joined the many fake Colnago countries. Some of these fakes have been spotted in bike shops. Regardless of the paint job and dubious Colnago badging it is a very nice Moser super bike. Let us know if you can figure out more about it. Also a finished picture sometime.

Hi Jesper,
I know you have been busy with your work, but I was curious if you have been able to finish this bike. I love the paint and frame design as well as the component selection.
I ask because I recently acquired a Moser "Neo" Pro frame; not as nice looking as the Leader but a nice quality frame nonetheless.
I am sure others would like to see the final result.

Thanks,
Howard

Why would anyone do this to a Moser?
Mosers are great Italian bikes. Not a Colnago, but very desirable.
Francisco Moser held the 24 hour distance record at one time. (per the movie, The Flying Scott)

Somebody purchased the rights to Moser in the 1990s. I don't think they have been made in Italy since.

Latest posts

Back