"Most over done trend?"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cruisehard said:
My top ten.
1.White wall tires...they get dirty too quick.
2. Brooks saddles...They look great BUT...I cannot justify spending over 100.00 on a piece of leather with a hard metal base. (I'll get flamed for this one.)
3. Really tall ape hangers... looks silly.
4. Skulls... already mentioned.
5. Iron Crosses on everything...mirrors....pedals...caps...decals...etc. A couple here and there is ok.
6. Gears...HATE THEM! Just my opinion. :mrgreen:
7. Fixies! 'nuff said.
8. Aluminum frames...what's wrong with good 'ol steel? It's cheaper, rides smoother, easier to repair.
9. Overly stretched chopper bikes...not very practical.
10. Spandex!
spandex? evidently you have never cruised a SoCal beach, spandex and rollerblades are a beautiful thing. (on the ladies)

gashuffy63 said:
Bikes are kind of like that tired old line, "any day off of work is a good day", and I feel the same way about bikes. Any kind of bike to me is a "good bike", and who honestly loses any sleep at night fearing that they have put together a bike utilizing some "over done trend along the way"?
Seems like we are spending too much time contemplating our belly buttons when we could be spinning wrenches out in the shop. On another note, as far as the cycling community goes we are a tiny minority and what some believe to be over done is really fresh to most others that don't ever venture into this small pond.

I couldn't have said it better myself.
If you like what you've created, who cares if anyone thinks it's 'trendy' or 'overdone.'

11 pages? It's almost like the most overdone trend is complaining about the most overdone trends :D

caffeine7 said:
cruisehard said:
My top ten.
2. Brooks saddles...They look great BUT...I cannot justify spending over 100.00 on a piece of leather with a hard metal base. (I'll get flamed for this one.)
5. Iron Crosses on everything...mirrors....pedals...caps...decals...etc. A couple here and there is ok.
7. Fixies! 'nuff said.
8. Aluminum frames...what's wrong with good 'ol steel? It's cheaper, rides smoother, easier to repair.
10. Spandex!
spandex? evidently you have never cruised a SoCal beach, spandex and rollerblades are a beautiful thing. (on the ladies)
Here in Ohio you get roadie clones and geriatrics on recumbents...a sad sight indeed.

cruisehard said:
caffeine7 said:
cruisehard said:
My top ten.
7. Fixies! 'nuff said.
10. Spandex!
Here in Ohio you get roadie clones and geriatrics on recumbents...a sad sight indeed.

Hey I had a recumbent, they are fun. Only reason I don't still have it is a guy offered me a 1962 Corvair Greenbriar van for it......couldn't pass that up.

cruisehard said:
That is a good deal osc.

Yeah I thought so too, then a buddy ended up getting it and he's going to resto-mod it into the greenbriar tire fryer....lol

Trendy Names

Fixie
Roadie
Adding 'er' to anything
29er
26er
96er
69er
Balooner
Hipster

Klunker gets a free pass.

Call it what it is - fixed gear, Road Bike, 29 inch etc.
When I first heard 'fixie' I had no idea what the heck the kid was saying.

Also, I don't like a bike that is un-rideable as what is the sense.

When I rode BMX (late 70's early 80's) the seat was there to sit on and also gave you control of the bicycle when you went off a ramp as the seat was now positioned between your legs.

Slammed seats and raised knee riding position are not my thing on any bike.
Seats are high on all my bikes.

The new pedal forward position may be nice on a flat boardwalk cruiser but is not practical anywhere else. I live on a major hill so I have a bias here.

John

Latest posts

Back