MOTIVATOR

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They actually make fork stem extenders too. I saw some on ebay. They go down into the fork like a goose neck would and cinch like a normal.Now a threadless 1" or 1 1/8" shaft extension is sticking out of your fork tube, then you have to use a modern thread less clamp-on bar stem. I have no experience with them but the concept (if I have it right) was cool.

Good luck!

Yoothgeye, I have extended steerer tubes before and I always do it exactly like you posted, with the insert in there for strength. Trimming the headtube isn't a bad idea either but the welds are awfully close to the edges on this one.

Fisch, I have seen those stem extenders too, but I don't think I'll need one. I was rooting around in my garage ( instead of working :mrgreen: ) and I found something that will work perfectly. Problem solved!

Thanks guys.

So while I was out in the garage playing around with the fork issue I was looking at the frame's side profile and I had an inspiration. Originally I was going to make a number board that fit into the top of the frame, but I think this might look a little neater.

motivator006.jpg

motivator007.jpg

motivator008.jpg

motivator009.jpg

What do you guys think?

Fisch said:
They actually make fork stem extenders too. I saw some on ebay. They go down into the fork like a goose neck would and cinch like a normal.Now a threadless 1" or 1 1/8" shaft extension is sticking out of your fork tube, then you have to use a modern thread less clamp-on bar stem. I have no experience with them but the concept (if I have it right) was cool.

These are not made to compensate for a fork too short, these are for using a threadless stem on a threaded fork, you still need the fork hardware installed or there will be no top bearings in the fork.

bmxerpete said:
What do you guys think?

I like that, never seen it done that way, try it!

bmxerpete said:
You know what's funny on this...the welds on the front half of the frame actually look pretty good. The back half however looks like toothpaste. Like two different people welded it up.
Maybe its high tensil up front and mild steel crap in back.I have a few modern frames from good companies that are made like that.

Fisch, that's about half of them... :mrgreen:

Xcruiser, you're probably right.

Tin and Yoothgeye, thanks. Got the steerer tube situation figured out, on to Step 2...actually building! :mrgreen:

Made some progress with an idea that I had brewing, hopefully I'll have something to show ya'll pretty soon. Have a question on those 26" Jerald Sulky slicks for any of you guys that have used them. How tall and wide do they inflate on a standard 26 X 1.75 cruiser rim? I'd really like to use one of them, but I'd hate to spend the $ only to find it's too big to fit. The chain and seat stays on this frame are faily small so I'm not sure they would take much tweaking.
Thanks in advance!

Xcruiser said:
bmxerpete said:
It's 4 am and I'm up thinking about this bike... :mrgreen:

Got a few good ideas and one really great idea, we'll see.
WEW!!! Im not the only one!!!
Ill be watching as more pics pop up man!!
Whats wrong with that? 4am is normal!

The bunnies are getting hungry for an update!!!!!!

bunnyteeth.jpg

Unfortunately there's not much to update... :( My great idea is at a standstill because I can't find the right material to make what I had in mind. I haven't given up yet, it just might require a mid-course change of plans.

bmxerpete said:
Unfortunately there's not much to update... :( My great idea is at a standstill because I can't find the right material to make what I had in mind. I haven't given up yet, it just might require a mid-course change of plans.

Most of our builds go through changes brought on by parts, engineering, or personal time. Don't get yourself too bogged down that time slips away. Just do a little bit here and there and you will get your rhythm and stuff will start to flow.

GO FOR IT!!!!

yoothgeye said:
bmxerpete said:
It's a forkin' problem...the forks I wanted to use don't have a long enough steerer tube. The frame has a 4 3/4" headtube instead of the standard 4", so I'll either have to lengthen the steerer tube on the forks I wanna run or just find something else.

Can't you cut the top and bottom off of the head tube? I had to do that last year. Of course, if you weld or know someone who does, I have a very simple way of leangthening steer tubes (or shortening them).

fork_mod.jpg
where can i get the sleeve part? i need to do tthis.

^thanks. I just took it next door to the machine shop. I know someone over that is going to shorten it or thread it some more :)

Latest posts

Back