MOTIVATOR

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's my entry for RRBO#7, the "Motivator". It started life as a Motiv beach cruiser from Costco, hopefully I can make it earn a little more respect. I have no idea at all what parts or theme I'm going with...kinda like every other bike I build. :mrgreen:

gtstem005.jpg

You know what's funny on this...the welds on the front half of the frame actually look pretty good. The back half however looks like toothpaste. Like two different people welded it up.

bmxerpete said:
You know what's funny on this...the welds on the front half of the frame actually look pretty good. The back half however looks like toothpaste. Like two different people welded it up.

Labor's so cheap they probably had 2 guys on it welding at the same time.

dragnusa said:
yoothgeye said:
I like China made frames.

Good luck and enjoy these next months.
You like any frame lol

You're probably right, I just love bikes. The only bikes I have had that didn't impress me were a couple old kids bikes that the frames completely bolted together (bolt on BB, ugh). I can appreciate a girly frame build, but I avoid them personally.

bmxerpete said:
Peatbog, the stock paint/powder is thin and half gone with lots of scratches, so I'm painting it for sure. Thinkin' maybe red or orange...

orange sounds good to me :)

Okay, got her stripped down and ready for some grinding and cutting...although the only things I really need to cut off are the chainguard tabs and maybe the fender mounts.

motivator001.jpg

Already ran into my first minor (I hope) problem...might have to come up with a Plan B. :shock: :x :mrgreen:

It's a forkin' problem...the forks I wanted to use don't have a long enough steerer tube. The frame has a 4 3/4" headtube instead of the standard 4", so I'll either have to lengthen the steerer tube on the forks I wanna run or just find something else.

bmxerpete said:
It's a forkin' problem...the forks I wanted to use don't have a long enough steerer tube. The frame has a 4 3/4" headtube instead of the standard 4", so I'll either have to lengthen the steerer tube on the forks I wanna run or just find something else.

Can't you cut the top and bottom off of the head tube? I had to do that last year. Of course, if you weld or know someone who does, I have a very simple way of leangthening steer tubes (or shortening them).

fork_mod.jpg

yoothgeye said:
bmxerpete said:

Can't you cut the top and bottom off of the head tube? I had to do that last year. Of course, if you weld or know someone who does, I have a very simple way of leangthening steer tubes (or shortening them).

fork_mod.jpg

I did the same thing and am actually doing it to my build off bike except I using the threading from another fork to cut Down on having to many welds...

Latest posts

Back