MotoDromo Special II : New video! with ride...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep it up! This is really fun to watch as it comes together. :cool2: Great craftsmanship.

I'm thinking that it would be easier to fit the bottom before it's attached to the tank. But, you're holding it in your hands and I'm just looking at pixels. ;)

Last edited:
I love how this build is moving forward. You might find it easier on your thumbs and wrists to approach the steering like a down hill gravity racer. It looks like if the grips were a little lower and just at a few degrees less of a tilt a body would be in more of its center of mass to center of gravity ratio. But its only a suggestion. ")
And yes its definitely turning into a pit bike, any thoughts of a Jackshaft?
Have you considered rear foot pegs to accompany the foreward posture?
Sorry these are random thoughts as i view your progress.

Stealth fighter jet cool!!!
That looks sooooo much better than cardboard every could!:p
You just keep bumping that coolness meter up!

Thanks KF! I didn't even think of a stealth fighter at all, but now I see it totally looks like an F117 bike:grin:

Great lines on that tank. Matches the frame and bars well. I love the look!

Thanks! I always try and match at many lines as I can:thumbsup:

Should have some good range with that little motor and a tank that size. Looks awesome!

Thanks! The tunnel will take up a lot of room in the tank, but all said and done it should still hold around 2 gallons:)

Looking good!

Luke.

:thumbsup:

I thought the same thing, steath fighter. Beautiful work

Sent from my LGL31L using Tapatalk

Thanks! I might have to change the name now:39:

Most definitely better than cardboard,very sleek. Just don't forget to test it for leaks when you finish,would hate to find out it leaks when filled with fuel.

Thanks! And don't worry, I'll be submerging it in the shop sink and leak testing it with compressed air:thumbsup:

Keep it up! This is really fun to watch as it comes together. :cool2: Great craftsmanship.

I'm thinking that it would be easier to fit the bottom before it's attached to the tank. But, you're holding it in your hands and I'm just looking at pixels. ;)

Thanks RM!:grin: You might very well be right, but I'm committed now so Ill have to try that next time and see what's what:thumbsup:

I love how this build is moving forward. You might find it easier on your thumbs and wrists to approach the steering like a down hill gravity racer. It looks like if the grips were a little lower and just at a few degrees less of a tilt a body would be in more of its center of mass to center of gravity ratio. But its only a suggestion. ")
And yes its definitely turning into a pit bike, any thoughts of a Jackshaft?
Have you considered rear foot pegs to accompany the foreward posture?
Sorry these are random thoughts as i view your progress.

Thanks!:thumbsup: That sounds logical, but I'm really not too worried about riding posture on this one as its really all about the looks. Also the "clip on" position will basically be determined by how they will fit in the front fairing that I still have to make...
I wont be going on very long rides with this bike so I really don't need a jackshaft, but I did think about making some rearsets/footpegs, but the riding position really is not bad at all.:grin:

Lots of progress today and lots of pics:grin:

But first, yesterday I was thinking about changing my "clip ons" because they were too bulky and it would be difficult to make the fairing clear them, so I racked my brain and the only thing I could come up with that would fit the 7/8 fork tubes was this...

Test piece...

As you can see I gained just over an inch in each axis to bring the bars and controls tighter to the bike. I then put it on a piece of scrap tube and tried my hardest to break it but it held up great:thumbsup:

So today I rummaged through my stuff and found some new donors...

I needed an extra inch and a half so I used some lugs to be safe...

Welded...

Soooo much better:grin:

Then I got back to the tank and welded the whole top inside. Ill weld the outside too and then I should have enough material in the corners to be able to grind it all down to a nice radiused edge... the bottom I'm not worried about because you wont really see it.

Then I tacked on the bottom panel...

And then made the final piece to fully box the tank and tacked that too...

As luck would have it I burned a small hole on my last tack and dropped some nice hot metal into my work boots... Ouch:eek:

After a bit of cursing and yelling at inanimate objects I decided to do the finish welding on the filler neck to end on a better note.:grin:

Thats it for today, but tomorrow ill be working on the bike all day!:grin:

Thanks for looking!

Lookin' good!

I'm not sure how much of the clamp will show when it's finished, but if it does show, here's what I did in BO8 on my board track bars for a nicer finished look:
100_5422_zpsde96fa08.jpg

I used a flat socket cap screw and a T nut on the bottom like this...
GW144H144

Lookin' good!

I'm not sure how much of the clamp will show when it's finished, but if it does show, here's what I did in BO8 on my board track bars for a nicer finished look:
100_5422_zpsde96fa08.jpg

I used a flat socket cap screw and a T nut on the bottom like this...
GW144H144
Uuuu very nice! Forgot about those. It probably wont be seen but im definitely going to get some T nuts, it just looks so much better:thumbsup: Thanks for the tip!

Well I finally got the tank fully welded today.:grin:

Now starts the tedious task of grinding and smoothing:crazy2:...

Then I welded the outer seams of the top to get a lot of material in the corners.

After grinding most of that down I could get a decently rounded edge instead of sharp corners...

Tomorrow I'll finish up the smoothing and start cutting out the tunnel:thumbsup:

I was thinking about tires again so I pulled out an old set of Nomad Resists. I think the almost slick tread might work a bit better with the bike, they're also 2.2 inches wide instead of the 2.125 Felt Circuits that are on it now. What do you guys think? I cant decide so should I run the Felts or the Nomads?:39:

That's it for today, thanks for looking!

Tanks is looking excellent!
I like those nomads, what's the side view look like?

Tanks is looking excellent!
I like those nomads, what's the side view look like?
Thanks! Im leaning towards the nomads too:39: You can see a bunch of pics of the one I used for mock up on page one of this thread, but here's one for easy comparison...

Tough call, both tires actually have killer lines to them. I think I like the Nomads better because it more atypical.

Well I finally got the tank fully welded today.:grin:

I was thinking about tires again so I pulled out an old set of Nomad Resists. I think the almost slick tread might work a bit better with the bike, they're also 2.2 inches wide instead of the 2.125 Felt Circuits that are on it now. What do you guys think? I cant decide so should I run the Felts or the Nomads?:39:

That's it for today, thanks for looking!

In am thinking the Felts. I like the looks of them. Also, might have a little traction if you hit mossy water while going around a corner and on the throttle.. how sticky are those nomads in water? I've never had a set?

And the race is on,now here comes pride in the front stretch... Looks like this is a 50/50 at this point.
I'm a big proponent of do what makes you happy.

I like the groovy look of the Felts, and for all the reasons mentioned in comment above me ^....! Did I break the 50/50 Fal-guy? ;)

Latest posts

Back