Motorcycle grips

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of trying to use these grips on my trike build. Obviously I don't want a twist grip on the right side. Does anyone know what would be involved in removing the twist part? I'm guessing I would need a bushing of some sort to replace whatever is used for the throttle part of it.

Any suggestions?

Grips.jpg

Motorcycle grips have different i.d. than bicycle grips. One grip will be 7/8 and fit your bike, the other will be 1". So you may need to buy 2 sets to get one viable bicycle pair.

I'm pretty sure one grip fits snug and is secured by that set screw. The other grip has to be free to twist.
I once used motorcycle grips - I just wrapped electrical tape on the handlebar til it fit snug. It looks to me that you could cut off the cable twist part and drill for a set screw as on the left grip. Then build up the bar with tape. aluminum foil or some other "shim" material.
Al

I'm pretty sure one grip fits snug and is secured by that set screw. The other grip has to be free to twist.
I once used motorcycle grips - I just wrapped electrical tape on the handlebar til it fit snug. It looks to me that you could cut off the cable twist part and drill for a set screw as on the left grip. Then build up the bar with tape. aluminum foil or some other "shim" material.
Al

I think I overthought this. I was thinking of gutting the throttle side, but drilling, and tapping a long set screw would lock the twist part and also lock it to the bars. My bars are 1", so I shouldn't need to shim them.

I'm thinking of trying to use these grips on my trike build. Obviously I don't want a twist grip on the right side. Does anyone know what would be involved in removing the twist part? I'm guessing I would need a bushing of some sort to replace whatever is used for the throttle part of it.

Any suggestions?

View attachment 122322

Reach out to these guys and see if they have two left grips. (Seriously, they probably have them)

They are a massive scratch and dent shop in Wisconsin. 3 floors of merch. It's like Disneyland for motorcycle guys on the cheap

https://www.ebay.com/str/worldfamousbargainbarncycle

Latest posts

Back