MOTORIZED?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SSG said:
I don't see why there would be any problem with that as long as its under 206cc.
Sweet. I was just able to find a tamer Tecumseh motor with 195cc... Granted its a model for a Yerf Dog go kart and therefor has a CVT transmission that'll probably atomize my tires so that they get a good fuel/air mixture goin' on once the friction reaches 932 degrees in a second or two :roll:

I guess we better get started. So unless someone has anything to add it looks like the rules are: 206cc maximum engine displacement, bikes should have functional pedals, and low budget garage built contraptions. Build off runs from today Oct 14 to Dec 1. Put your build posts in this thread and I guess we can put up a poll once everyone is finished.

Sweet. First day of competition. Frame built. '77 Metrocycle Boardtracker (almost cafe racer). Been wanting to build this'n anyways, just needed a reason to do so. The bike is already amazing ridewise (looks spiffy too :mrgreen:) she takes 40mph very well, and cuts corners like a juvenile delinquent at 30mph :shock: which is actually alot more terrifying than I expected... It's very tamable at cruising speeds but can pull a 180 dead center of the road if you even look at one side of the handlebars more than the other :roll: However if you just. dont. touch 'em. then it rides very straight. That being said at 20+ she starts to act like she cares a bit more about what shes doing. So it looks like I have to build her to go fast whether I like it or not now anyways :| She had personality before I cut her up, welded her, and accidentally gave her the means to do whatever terrifying thing she wants to do, and now that I have I've merely indulged her manic tendencies, thus I name her: Serendipity.
Pics tomorrow

-Hans

As promised, pics from the first days work in the buildoff :D - well half anyways :? there was an issue with some of my pics, went on a 'hiking' trip yesterday as well and my lovely little miss in order to make room for some (actually pretty neat) pictures of our own deleted some of the less interesting pictures in my camera :( so that means I dont have any before pics or pics of me stripping Serendipity down. BUUUUTT its not like I pulled some magic tricks and amazing fabricational alchemy to put a springer fork on a bike :|

Anywho PICS :mrgreen:

Heres what I started with (not mine, but identical)
metrocycle.jpg

And heres where im at now...

IMG_6175.jpg

MMM perfect aging - not even sure if i want to paint her yet

IMG_6180.jpg

Vintage Sturmey steel AW hub driving the wheel for now 8)

IMG_6165.jpg

Said Sturmey Archer (3rd HAAAUUULLSSS THE MAIILLL :shock:)

IMG_6162.jpg

Rider's view

IMG_6164.jpg

IMG_6167.jpg

The OVERwelded seat post did (I will tear that bike in half before I break those welds lol) but in case of the seat post bending and for cosmetics she's probably going to get a bracing plate or a gusset.

IMG_6160.jpg

And there she is :mrgreen:

I could very easily leave her like this, hose her off (she sparkles when clean :mrgreen:), and say I have a very fun/nice ride
....but thats not what this competitions all about now is it?
Next in the works - Gas Tank :D

SSG said:
Looks like you are off to a good start.
Thanks SSG! hopefully I can keep up the momentum, if so I might be done with this one fairly quick. Personally I doubt it because I have a BEASTLY AA/FA styled Go Kart that I'm in the middle building as well. (Wheelbarrows are fun...) :mrgreen:
Anyone else have any plans yet?

Im a little busy and should be finishing other projects but i think i might join in, and a build off will give me the drive to finish (hopefully) in time..... I have a girls 20" bicycle, a 66cc i dont have plans for..... i will stick with my love for vintage bikes, and will build a 20" boardtrack style bike, i have a day off tommorrow so i will grab the bike from side of the house (junk bike pile) and take some pics. I will have to make the front section of the bike, make the tank, bars etc.

I aready have a minature (vintage kids bike?) seat that would be perfect

Picture276.jpg

Picture277.jpg

Picture279.jpg

Size comparison

Picture278.jpg

Keen to see how yours turns out as well section8.... is anyone else planning to join us?

I pulled the bike out today but not feeling very motorvated, i may just chop it up today, and as usual ill just wing it rather then putting pen to paper and planning to much... anyways heres my start, a Malvern Star - Family Star vintage bicycle, ill use the wheels (coaster brake rear), rear triangle, forks and make the rest of the frame

Picture751.jpg

Picture752.jpg

Wow props on the frame choice, I had gears turning the moment I saw that. As for winging it don't be afraid to replace logic and reason with expletives and unnecessary busted knuckles - because you wont be alone lol :wink:

To be honest I'm in a similar position, it wasn't unexpected - I'm just poor lol. I'm actually kinda glad that you mentioned that, I forgot to mention that I'm doing this on a 0$ budget (20$ at the most if there's no other way around something for the bike) I'm curious to see how mine's going to stack up to all of yours. :mrgreen:

-Hans

MarksA-C said:
I got my frame picked out, got a jackshaft made up and a nice little 3hp briggs for the bike. :D
Got to motivate myself and work!....working on that

Yeah im lacking a little motorvation myself. I did cut up my frame but ran out of time, i have a few days off before i go back to work so hopefully i can have the frame done and post some pics, and hopefully we can get each other motorvated

IMG_2311600x450.jpg

Got the engine set in, pretty much where its going to be mounted. Still have to work on the jackshaft placement and gas tank placement.

IMG_2312600x450.jpg

This is the tank I plan on using, going to shorten it and move the fill neck as far to the side as possible. I hope to mount it right in front of the engine, so its all in frame.

The theme I am going for is 60's DIY. Like a kid and his father build this. Nothing overly fancy, no shaved flywheels, no modded engines. Something made to work and for fun.

Latest posts

Back