Mountain Bikes to Cruisers - Questions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dr. T
Any details concerning the setback seat post on your Diamondback "path bike"?
View attachment 34182
I have a Raleigh with a stuck aluminum post. its a little too high now and bike has a taller frame so I'm thinking of cutting it off and moving the seat back a little. I have an old one piece crank I may cut off and use for the setback post.
It's one I found on eBay years ago (pre-RRB days)
It and the seat are about to go up for sale. PM me and I'll give you first dibs on it.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man this is an old post with over 10,000 views and still getting comments? The single speed craze ain't over yet folks, so strip and flip those mountain bikes...

SScollage.jpg

Ive done a ton of them, most folks 95%...who have bought bikes from me....don't want to mess with gears and shifting. Of course it's flat in coastal Florida, really no need for a 21 spd. I usually shoot for a 2:1 ratio...twice as big ring in the front...good easy ride middle of the road, perfect for most people.

Having said that...even beach cruisers...very popular..can get boring after a bit.....and there's always the old dirt roads, and muddy roads leading down to the 'gator swamps that you want to explore....right?

I find my 1999 Huffy Hermosa has the perfect gearing,..1 ring up front...6 on back...yep a 6 Speed....Best bike for almost any terrain, Average person doesn't need nor will ever use more than that.

HermosaDone3.png

At the moment , it's the coolest most appropriate and rider friendly bike in my fleet...sturdy, nice, right and tite.....I'm thinking get old huffy's, or other cruisers or mountain bikes and standardize them all to 6 spd. gonna try that idea next.....
:happy:
franco

Man this is an old post with over 10,000 views and still getting comments? The single speed craze ain't over yet folks, so strip and flip those mountain bikes...

View attachment 34379

Ive done a ton of them, most folks 95%...who have bought bikes from me....don't want to mess with gears and shifting. Of course it's flat in coastal Florida, really no need for a 21 spd. I usually shoot for a 2:1 ratio...twice as big ring in the front...good easy ride middle of the road, perfect for most people.

Having said that...even beach cruisers...very popular..can get boring after a bit.....and there's always the old dirt roads, and muddy roads leading down to the 'gator swamps that you want to explore....right?

I find my 1999 Huffy Hermosa has the perfect gearing,..1 ring up front...6 on back...yep a 6 Speed....Best bike for almost any terrain, Average person doesn't need nor will ever use more than that.

View attachment 34380

At the moment , it's the coolest most appropriate and rider friendly bike in my fleet...sturdy, nice, right and tite.....I'm thinking get old huffy's, or other cruisers or mountain bikes and standardize them all to 6 spd. gonna try that idea next.....
:happy:
franco
7 speed MegaRange Shimano is very cool, still no need for a front derailleur, but huge gearing options... Reasonably priced too, might be worth you checking out.

Luke.

7 speed MegaRange Shimano is very cool, still no need for a front derailleur, but huge gearing options... Reasonably priced too, might be worth you checking out.

Luke.

that's a good idea Luke, I looked at that and the price is very reasonable....
I think getting a bike down to one shifter makes it a lot easier to sell a mtn. bike...I'm talking to the average buyer now....they're a tuff flip anyway...especially when you get up in gearing....I don't have many Lance Armstrong wannabees stopping by...usually its mom and pop who want some exercise or someone buying a bike for their kids....

sold two beach cruisers yesterday....and someones coming to pick up two BMX for kids today actually...UH OH...making room in the shed for mo' bikes....;) ')

f.

A good friends bike was stolen recently. I was a beach cruiser, and that's the riding position he prefers. He'd previously expressed a desire for more gears. Whipped this up for him with bike/ parts on hand. He's stoked!

View attachment 34507
Good stuff!

Luke.

Hey rockethead26,

This is rather 'straight forward' re-purpose (compared to what some of the folks do on here :mrgreen: ).

You mentioned a fork swap, from what to what? From suspension to rigid? From rigid tubular to vintage blade or springer (which looks pretty cool BTW)

Here's before and after shots of my Diamond Back MTB turned 'path bike'. I'm in the process of upgrading to U-Brakes even thinking about fenders... I'm running a single ring in the front and 6 speed cassette in the rear. It's plenty of gears for my needs.
Before:
DSCF2121.jpg

After:
DSCF2537.jpg

Let me know if I can help out.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Dr. T,

I really love the conversion you've done to your bike. This is exactly what i'm looking to do with my GT, can you help provide me with a more detail list of mods/specs so I can start my own transformation. Any information would be much appreciated, thanks Boz5150

Latest posts

Back