Movin on the Lincoln Highway

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got stuck on the Worksman so I'm changing to another of my summer projects.

An Instep or Schwinn child trailer conversion to hauling stuff instead.

I got the trailer minus the nylon tent & seat for the child. Just your frame, wheels, towbar, an added basket and some mystery steel bracket that weighed as much as the trailer itself.

I removed the basket and bracket. Sent those to recycling.

I got a couple of pallets from my local Harbor Freight (Quantity, not quality) store. Those pallets are very lightweight and they have piles to give away.

Build time.

I built a wood crate of sorts to fit the stripped down trailer. At first I was thinking of a woody theme like you see on old 1950's trucks but I decided it needed lots of visibility so I went for the Lincoln Highway theme of red white & blue. I live a couple blocks away from the old Lincoln Highway route. Our regular grocery store is on the Lincoln Highway so I figured this would be a good grocery getter. I've used it a couple times for hauling chairs & coolers to the local band concerts too.

Dis-mantling pallets can be a pain. Lots of glued nails and split wood. I cut the end boards off the pallets since I didn't need the full length of the cross boards. Then I twisted the middle boards off. Cut to length to match the length & width of the trailer frame. I cut the corner boards to 1"x1" to match the frame. Gorilla glue, short deck screws and lots of clamps.

Painted in red white & blue. I stenciled the name on the side. I added a flashie tail light and a slow moving farm equipment triangle on the rear for extra night time visibility.

Rick

photos>>>>

As I got it:
biketrailerIMG_5515.jpg

As it left the factory:
stockphoto.jpg

Quick detach wheels:
IMG_5516.jpg

IMG_5517.jpg

Folding tow bar:
IMG_5518.jpg

Bare frame:
IMG_5577.jpg

IMG_5578.jpg

IMG_5579.jpg

Sent to recycle:
IMG_5585.jpg

Rough crate done:
IMG_5873.jpg

IMG_5876.jpg

Inspiration:
LincolnHighwaySign.jpg

Painted:
IMG_6148.jpg

IMG_6102.jpg

Stenciling:
IMG_6150.jpg

IMG_6149.jpg

IMG_6151.jpg

Rear view for visibility:
IMG_6152.jpg

IMG_6158.jpg

IMG_6157.jpg

Done:
IMG_6153.jpg

IMG_6154.jpg

IMG_6155.jpg

That bike makes me dizzy and brings back Partridge Family flashbacks!!! :p
Cool trailer.

That bike was another 2011 late season project. At least I can't see the rims when I ride. I've been thinking of putting "Shirley Jones" on the white top tube so I could say I took her for a ride. sigh.

Dido on what kingfish said loved that show an that bike takes me back to my childhood

I actually don't know if this qualifies for the build off. It isn't a bike and the bike that is with it can't be part of the entry because it was built before the build off. I ain't no judge, but as cool as the trailer is, it isn't a bike. :cry:

Latest posts

Back