Multi-ColorFlow, Boba, Scribble's Rat-Flow. Part XVIV Finished For Real This Time I Swear

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let them rust a little, then neutralize with baking soda/water. Maybe some oil staining, then clean up and boiled linseed oil.

Agree with my two compadres ^ . If you can get a little age to the skirt and chain guards they might blend a little better. If you do, you might want to consider giving the springer a little of the same treatment. I didn't realize how shiny the fork was until I enlarged your most recent pic.

If you are brave, my old standby Rustoleum Multicolor texture paint, just lightly applied from a distance of 4-5 ft, in a swooping, misting kind of manner would help to 'age' them. If they are bare, with no oils, polish, etc on them it sticks pretty well. When dry, lightly rub it smooth for that 'old rust' look.

Whatever you do will only make a beautiful bike even more beautiful.

Agree with my two compadres ^ . If you can get a little age to the skirt and chain guards they might blend a little better. If you do, you might want to consider giving the springer a little of the same treatment. I didn't realize how shiny the fork was until I enlarged your most recent pic.

If you are brave, my old standby Rustoleum Multicolor texture paint, just lightly applied from a distance of 4-5 ft, in a swooping, misting kind of manner would help to 'age' them. If they are bare, with no oils, polish, etc on them it sticks pretty well. When dry, lightly rub it smooth for that 'old rust' look.

Thanks guys, I've already started messing about with the guards, nice thing about them is I don't have to worry about wrecking OG paint if I don't like them I can always start over :happy:.

IMG_9563.JPG

IMG_9567.JPG

As you can see the green rattle can paint I found matches quiet nicely.
IMG_9565.JPG

IMG_9570.JPG

I'll get some pics of the aging process up soon.

IMG_9571.JPG

Lots of steel wool, scotch bright and sand paper. Looks much better then bare steel in my option.
IMG_9581.JPG

IMG_9575.JPG

I was trying to match the patina, as you can see it's paint and bare steel not much rust if any.
I think it's a fairly good match.
IMG_9576.JPG

IMG_9577.JPG

I used one of my grimy rags to buff the paint to a more matte finish.
IMG_9582.JPG

IMG_9579.JPG

The band on the chain guard and left side skirt guard ought to match fender brace color if you are trying to emulate original paint. It's looking very good as is though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The band on the chain guard and left side skirt guard ought to match fender brace color if you are trying to emulate original paint. It's looking very good as is though.

Glad you decided to go for it with the paint, it looks 100% better than the bare metal!

I also agree with @MazdaFlyer on painting the bands on the guards.

Guess I'm off to find some gold paint.

also I was thinking about doing some of these drilled holes on the guard.
vsnejo.jpg

Nice work on those skirt guards! I agree with the boys ^...paint really ties it together.

Just a thought. If you wanted to, find some of the 'splatter paint' colors that are found on your frame. Dip the very tip of a small brush, say 1 1/5" bristle width. Stand back and 'flick' the bristles and let some of the splatter randomly hit the skirt guard. I see yellow, light blue, red, orange...might really tie it together.

Otherwise, the rubbing and the more matte finish you can achieve will keep blending the skirts with the frame as well. Isn't this 'aging process' stuff a blast?!
:thumbsup:

That would be a big challenge getting that many holes perfectly aligned like the factory guards were. But if you do decide to try it, you most definitely need to use a step drill on that thin sheet metal. Harbor Freight has them for cheap.
step-drill_action.jpg

That would be a big challenge getting that many holes perfectly aligned like the factory guards were. But if you do decide to try it, you most definitely need to use a step drill on that thin sheet metal. Harbor Freight has them for cheap.
step-drill_action.jpg

I've got one of those step bits. It would be perfect if someone that has one of those factory drilled guards, Could make me a template of where those holes are.
Or I could just wing it and do my own pattern for the holes.

How do you control the DIA with a step drill, I've never used one?

How do you control the DIA with a step drill, I've never used one?

There quite easy to use, I've only ever used one for pre-drilling into wood. To use a step bit is in the name you just decide which step you want, and then let the drill do the work for you then stop once you get to the diameter you want. Don't know if that was a good explanation. I'm not very good at conveying things in text.

You've already got the hole template in your rear rack.

Now why didn't I think of that :crazy:.
Your a genius :nerd:

Taped off and painted, just waiting for it to dry then I'll do the aging process on the gold.
IMG_9590.JPG

IMG_9589.jpg

Almost done, not much more I can add at this point unless someone has a Color-Flow tank they would part with. Other wise Look forward to some more finished photos maybe evan a ride video around down town Boise ID. Also for anyone that might not have watched the whole build from the start, here is what the bike look like before.
Screenshot_2017-03-17-02-17-50.png

IMG_9594.JPG

IMG_9592.JPG

IMG_9593.JPG

IMG_9596.JPG

IMG_9597.jpg

IMG_9598.jpg

IMG_9599.JPG

IMG_9602.JPG

IMG_9603.JPG

IMG_9604.JPG

IMG_9605.JPG