Multi speed hub recommendations

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as you have adjusted it properly, it should loosen up after riding it a bit.(gently) Shifter cable adjustment would be more critical on a 5 speed compared to a 3 I would think, but once done carefully, it should be fine. Never have run a "new" Sturmey IGH or any hub over 3 spds for that matter, but keep us posted on whether it smooths out..:39:

Last edited:
Upon further review I realize the nut is actually sticking out a bit further than the end of the axle. I adjusted it so the yellow line is lined up with the end of the axle, rather than the nut, and whaddya know, it works perfectly. Thanks for all the help!

Now on to shifters...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I vote for this thing:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-sh...archer-sls50s5-braze-on-thumbshifter/?geoc=US

Should be possible to rig that up in a lot of locations. There's also a bar-mounted thumbie style Sturmey 5. Whatever you do, just remember you need to keep it wide-range 5 speed (which is most of'm; if the ad doesn't specify, it's probably a wide-ratio), and the new shifters designed for the Rotary-type 5 speeds will not work with your indicator-chain-- these will usually have a "c" in the alphanumeric part number-- as in, you can use the sls50 thumbie, but you can't use the slc50 thumbie....

HTH

I picked up an SLS50-T that is supposed to be able to convert from handlebar to down tube, and a chrome nut to replace the cheap looking plastic pulley thing. I'm hoping to rig the shifter to the rack mount on the frame and run the cable right into the axle with no cable housing. Then figure out some kind of shifter extension.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think the easiest strategy would be to bolt a length of 7/8" tubing or round bar to the rack boss, and then attach the thumbie to the 7/8" bar? Could be wrong, though. I never even looked into the diameter/pitch of downtube bosses versus rack bosses; it might be easier still to buy a DT shifter boss and rig it up from there. If I get a minute, I'll try to compare the two...

In any case, it'll look cool but probably be a PITA to shift.....

I think it came out well.

b1757f0f5afc893ed89f013f4347072d.jpg

I had to drill and pin it to keep from spinning.

b8e3e5c38f8aa7e212d6598b9619b473.jpg

d0ca5a76d4e2c30e1f03b6a05711399b.jpg

It IS a PITA to shift, but hopefully a laid back post will help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back