Murican Flyer (Boten)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hold my beer I'm going in.
This will be my first documented build.
There are lots of folks here with great talent, skill and imagination. I don't have any of those. But I do have a 1955 American Flyer badged Schwinn.
003.JPG

Nothing ground breaking here, I'll see what is under the gold paint, probably a new paint job in the near future. I have a few kickback hubs, may try to work one of those in. I predict a set of apes. And I'm going to try my hand at a street sweeper fender.
Wish me luck!

Last edited:
Nice bike. Your title reminded me of a business here in Southeast Georgia that used to sell Mow-bile homes in the 80s. There catch phrase was "Buy Amurican, cuz you are one"

I did some sanding on the frame today. I found original red paint under the white paint that was under the gold paint. I kinda got my hopes up that the graphics would have survived, but I had a misconception as to how the paint was originally applied, and I probably destroyed any graphics that may or may not have been there. It was impossible for me to tell with white paint sprayed over white graphics. Oh well. I have either sanded too much or not nearly enough.
001.JPG
002.JPG

003.JPG

Last edited:
I changed gears today. Decided to stick some tires on and start mocking up my street sweepers. I have a pair of CST 26 x 2.4 tires that i've had on just about everything I own at one time or another, and think will fill up a balloon fender pretty well. I like the look of front/rear fenders but will need to scrounge up another fender since one will be a donor.
001.JPG

002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG

Last edited:
Are you gonna work with the frame paint you have and selectively expose different levels. It looks pretty cool right now.
Nice work on the fender so far too.

Are you gonna work with the frame paint you have and selectively expose different levels. It looks pretty cool right now.
Nice work on the fender so far too.
I popped for a Hornet/Spitfire frame stencil kit on the Bay. It came in the mail today. It came with some extra stencils, so I think that I am going to try to recreate the graphics in white and then distress them. The advantage to this is that I can unearth the original paint from the rear fender and not worry too much about getting it perfect before painting. But I will need to try to recreate the look if I run a front fender. If that doesn't work, I am prepared to do a repaint in different colors.

I worked on the fill in section of the rear fender. Gold paint is just to help me see what it looks like. Devised a method to connect the two pieces together. Now I just have to knock most of the dents out.

I also started doing some of this:

What's that your dipping that crank in looks good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back